SOS for another battery hen rescue

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
melons
Legendary Laner

SOS for another battery hen rescue

Post by melons »

Can anyone nearish me, Cambridgeshire, Befordshire Northants border, take on 3 or 4 little girls, I'm hopefully collecting 5 on Saturday, Linda who rescues them is waiting for confirmation from the potential parents of the other 22 which she has had reserved, but..........her battery farmer, by the way who is a git, as the last hens were riddled with lice, wont let her take less than 30.
So, summary, I can collect if needed, they are £2.00 each I think maybe £1.50 I can't remember, (more than the BHWT but still the best £2.00 ever spent) that's what her delightful farmer insists on. I'll be driving back from Bedford with the girls & dropping 3 off in Raunds & two off in Alconbury, but can do a detour if needed?
But I'd need to know today / tomorrow so I can confirm, or I hate to think that the plug may be pulled on this one & I for one wont be worth knowing :cry:
I hate that to sound blackmailee but thats the situation, so if anyone can help, that'd be fab :-D
mel x
Cheers
mel x

wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Mel.
I am sure Eirlys on the other forum will take them, as she has lost 10 this year. The only problem is getting them to her.
We had to take the last lot up, but we are doing a sponsored charity dog walk for our Greek rescue on Saturday.
Ask on there, there maybe others who can help.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Wendy is Eirlys in Lincoln? I'm sure I could meet her 1/2 way & do a swoppee overee.
I'll ask the million dollar question on your site, thanks for that :-D
Cheers
mel x
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Mel,
Yes, she is. But she does not drive. That is the problem.
I have my fingers crossed, as I have 3 grandchickens relying on this.
Thank you for ringing my son.
Wendy

melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

We could be in business here :-D
Eirlys has asked if i can board them saturday night, yes I can muddle something I'm sure, then I'l take them to her on sunday, she's quite near me, so I am very very happy & excited today, another day at work given over to hen rescue, good job my boss is a star, that's all I did yesterday, he even put the word "chicken" into the computer as his password by accident, that's how much I went on about hens :shock: :-D :razz: (f+
I'm just about to e-mail Linda with my final fugures, that should secure the rescue...hopefully.
No prob's caling your son, I did initially ask for Wendy's brother? woops, he didn't seem to mind. LOL
mel
Cheers
mel x
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Mel.
Have just got around to reading this mail. I have mailed you privately and offered to cancel my new girls,I have been waiting for them to prove they were girls since April. But I couldn't see those many hens die just because homes were needed for 4.
I haven't mailed Hilary so everything is still fine.
I am so pleased you really have done a sterling job, Mel, well done. These little birds have many reasons to thank you.
I am sure that made my son chuckle.
Wendy

melons
Legendary Laner

rescue

Post by melons »

Good news.... we're on for a rescue tomorrow, we now have just over the minimum hens required, we have 32, the minimum was 30.
Linda did originally have homes for 22 ladies, but must have been let down by some people, as she has 10 less hens getting a home. Between Wendy's forum & a couple going to a friend of mine, we have found homes for 20 girls, shame about Linda's 10, that's what you risk when you do this coordinating, it is stressful & potentially upsetting, :cry: but on a positive, that's still 32 ladies getting freedom. She has to let the farmer know by 7pm tonight the final figures, so there's hope for a few more yet, but there is no way I can fit anymore in my little Clio, 20 hens & me is quite a cargo :shock: but if anyone has room & is near Bedford, then I do have Linda's details.
Wish us luck.
It's put a spring into my step :-D )t'
I'll report back monday.
Cheers
mel x
wendy

Post by wendy »

Well done you and Linda.
Wendy

chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

I agree - well done. I took part in collecting a couple from a legal liberation organised by the Brighton animal Action group in the summer and the logistics being organised were amazing. )t'
It must be incredibly hard with only a few to organise.
There's another being organised for next July now - nationwide. So many needy girls..... :cry:
Thanks you on behlaf of me and mine! :)
Wendy
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

All done & dusted, Linda has managed to rescue 32 hens today, I've finished my delivery rounds now, I brought a HUGE amount of wine & some chips from the chip van, I know it's not big or clever, but I'm now going to pig the lot :-D
I got to Wisbech with my final ladies at 2pm, we watched the girls while drinking tea for an hour, I don't know how often we said "oh bless them" but they were happy sunbathing.
I got home at 5pm, a full but a perfect day, there has been some lovely donations for a couple of animal welfare trusts, I shan't say from who, but I didn't want petrol money, so it will be split between the BHWT & for the running costs of Wendy's site, which was responsible for this rescue happening at all, without their help, no hens would have got homes today, as Linda isn't allowed to take less than 30.
So thank you everyone, it's been a great day, Im off now to get plastered & hopefully watch our boys stuff south africa :-D
Cheers
mel x
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Well done you Mel... you deserve every last chip!! )t' :mrgreen:
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

There was one little girl who I thought had given up, she was laid out with her head & neck flat on the floor of the cage I had on the front seat, all the others would stand up when I stopped at traffic lights or what ever, she would stay like that, then they would stand on her neck :cry:
I had had it all planned, that the first 3 would go to Wendy's son, then the remaining 2 out of that same cage would go to my friend, but I didn't think this little girl would do an extra hour in the car, so I asked Maria to have this poor little girl, & another very very pretty girl who she seemed ok with, I called when I got back & she had perked up a treat & eaten warm mash & porridge, as they have a friend hen who likes low ranking hens & is very sweet towards them ,she has already had taught them that warm mash was lovely :-D
Can't wait till tomorrow to find out all about their first full days out :-D

Mel
Cheers
mel x
Rob_h
Lively Laner

Post by Rob_h »

Well done on the rescue - a few more are safe :-D
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Absolutely Rob.....

WELL DONE TO ALL.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
karenP
Learner Laner

Post by karenP »

HI

I know this is an old post but I am looking to rescue some battery hens. I live in Cambridgeshire. Anyone out there with some hens coming in soon? Northamptonshire, Bedfordshire Cambridgeshire.

Karen