Rescue hen up-date

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
melons
Legendary Laner

Rescue hen up-date

Post by melons »

Here's a pic of the little hen, Blanche, who I thought was going to die during last weeks rescue, she is a dear little thing & is rallying round nicely, I thought she had truly given up, she has an awful long way to go, but this is her first outing from her heated hen house, she doesn't like the other hens much, so has her own bedroom, she is so frightened of them, but can see them all :D :razz: She has landed on her feet big time, even though her feet are well out of proportion to the rest of her, she is soo thin :cry:
Her comb looks like a bit of wet lettuce on her head, it has as much life in it as she did last week, but at least it's red now & not white :razz:

Cheers
mel x

Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

The poor little mite, she's just got to get healthy so she can discover what its like to be a chook... keep us updated please Mel.. )t'
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

She is a dear little thing, it just freaked me out with her lying flat with her head & neck on the cage floor with her eyes shut, the others were all stood on her neck.
Maria is like us & loves something to mother, Blanche is getting everything & more, she is still a bit sad, but now gets excited when it's tea time, as she doesn't have to fight for it any more. She is my official step daughter & i get a phone call every day about her progress :-D
Cheers
mel x
fussymare
Lively Laner

Post by fussymare »

Hi melons. Glad to hear she is rallying round.

From the picture I see she has the same slightly balding head near her comb that a couple of my ex-battery girls have. I posted a thread on the poultry health section, but no-one seemed to know what it was. Any ideas what causes it?

wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Mel,
She is coming on and that is good.

Hi Fusseymare.
It is usually because their head is being pecked.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Keep going melons, you're doing grand

Richard x
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Fm one of mine had a totally bald head & still, she looks like a turkey, I've put it down to being pecked in the cage, she had no ear feathers either, you could see right in her ears :cry:
This little love already had some new feathers coming her, she is just so very thin, it's criminal in my book :cry:
Cheers
mel x
wendy

Post by wendy »

Gladys is the same Mel. Spencer said yesterday he thought she looked like a vulture.
I think her head still gets it 'cos she is such a so & so and pushes in every where. Keeps getting told off for trying to get above her station.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
fussymare
Lively Laner

Post by fussymare »

But that must mean that mine are getting their heads pecked now - as they had a full head of feathers when they arrived. :? But I can't see any feathers lying around, so that seems a bit strange. :?
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

The head feathers are tiny, & any which Kenny used to pinch, she ate anyway, so there was never any evidence. Fanny's head is still like a turkey, but her ear hair has grown back, I don't think her head will ever be fluffy, if it does, it'll be put on the nine O clock news :-D (f+ 8) :razz:
Cheers
mel x
fussymare
Lively Laner

Post by fussymare »

Awww, so that means mine will probably always be a baldy too! Not quite like a turkey, but definitely receding! :cry: