Fireworks

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

I think I saw something in the paper recently that they are reviewing fireworks availability here in Tassie (whether to make them more or less available I am not sure). They are afaik totally banned in most states for private use, but apparently here you can get them with a permit. Having said that, I can't recall having heard them go off in my local area here, which is more than i can say for the state i just moved from where they are supposedly totally banned!!!!!!!!!
I must admit I didn't realise that they could have such a devastating affect on chickens (and others). I might have to look further into making a submission if they are looking at making them more widely available here!!! )de:

I always feel horrified for the local wildlife being scared when they have them at public events, but I didn't realise birds could even be dying of heart attacks :cry:

Jo
Lively Laner

Post by Jo »

Hi,

Condolences to that poor lady who lost her chickens, how upsetting.

My girls are put away in their house just before dusk, which is at the bottom of my garden. I live in a terrace and no doubt there will be fireworks all over the place this weekend.

I am thinking of bringing the girls into the house overnight during this weekend, I am not sure if this is the best thing to do or if they will be O.K snuggled up in their house outside.

These are the ex-battery girls from August Rescue (who incidently look absolutely fantastic - what a recovery and how tough these chooks are), so it will be their first experiance of firework night.

Can anyone suggest what to do for the best?

Many Thanks
Jo x
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

There really is no end to the unthinking stupidity of some people.
Do you remember Millenium eve; whose bright idea was it to release white doves at midnight, the start up the fireworks?
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Hi Jo, I can probably wave to you in Bed's, I'm in Kimbolton, over the border :-D Being kimbolton the manufacturing village of fireworks, we get them all the time here, my girls just sit it out in bed & seem none the worse for it. Personally I hate them, it's me who gets a monk on :cry: if they werwe my girls, I'd leave them intheir bed, as you never know when a display might go off when your on hol's or something, so at least you can be there for them for their first one.
The lady who lost her hens was putting them to bed, so they were still out side, it was an early display, i think it is that which freaked them out, rather than listening to it from the safety of their bedrooms.
What worries me more than the noise is, if falling red hot embers land on my hen house, it's so dry in there.
There you go, something else to worry about...sorry.
Cheers
mel x
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Such sad sad news - poor little girls

I'm very lucky that my girls seem immune to the noise, and just happily sleep on!
Small steps lead to big changes
Jane
Lively Laner

Post by Jane »

Some people can be soooo inconsiderate.

My girls have come through their first NOV 5th, OK, butI did put them to bed early just in case. Where we are now at least the fireworks were only on the week-end they were supposed to be, not the week before and the week after as well, like where I used to live!!!!!

Jane
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

...we have the 'pleasure' of another display this weekend, up the road from us. The Hens dont seem to worry, its my dog that frets over it - poor little baby, he hates them and just wotn settle down. will have to dig out the rescue remedy....
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

We've got another big one tonight too )gr:
Cheers
mel x