Very Wet Chickens

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Lynne
Lively Laner

Very Wet Chickens

Post by Lynne »

The chooks couldn't be any wetter if I had thown a bucket of water over them.. is it OK for them to be this wet? I'm a bit worried about putting them back in the coop absolutely dripping wet in this way. Surely it's not healthy!? Advice please..preferable before dusk!
Last edited by Lynne on 18 Nov 2007, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I think you'll find it's surface water. Most wild birds feathers are designed to form a 'plastic mac'.

If they've been out and there was shelter available, I think they'd have got under it.

I reckon they're just acting by their natural instincts, but someone else's view may differ?

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Lynne
Lively Laner

Post by Lynne »

It may well be surface water..I watched one of them shake a short time ago and underneath she look dry. They don't seem to want to shelter anywhere that really DOES shelter them, they huddle under a small hedge with no leaves and absolutely no shelter from the rain. I have fed them under a huge tree in the garden to try and let them see that it is completely dry under there, but to no avail, they just came out and went back under the useless hedge again! I can barely recognise them when they are so wet, they look half the size!!!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Lynne,
My get like drown rats. They have shrubs and they have their house, but still stay out mainly.
Last Friday it really rained HARD and when I looked out at them. they were in their house, so they are not silly. I am sure they will be fine.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Lynne
Lively Laner

Post by Lynne »

Wendy yours are obviously far more intellegent than mine because mine didn't seem to have the sense to try and keep dry even with the coop open all day (and the run has some shelter too!).
I can't believe how much I've worried about them, I've been out with the dog twice today and got absolutely soaked.. I bet the chooks didn't give me a second thought!!!
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Very Wet Chickens

Post by AnnaB »

Hi Lynne

Mine have now learned to stay under the covered part of the run - it has really poured here all day.
When they first came (July) we had very heavy rain and they got soaked. It was about 6pm and still daylight, I towelled each one and popped them in the coop for the night.
I think they will eventually learn, what you are doing with the food under the tree is a good idea.
nettles
Lively Laner

Post by nettles »

I wish I had read this earlier today!

Unfortunately, I was too busy trying to keep the girls dry... mine are free range round the garden and insisted on being out in the rain all day. Their coop is always open during the day with food and drink inside, that didn't work. I thought it was because they didn't want to feel cooped up.. so I emptied half our shed and put food and drink in there. Then I stood in the garden for ages trying to lure them into it with food, that worked until the food ran out. I even put a fan heater in there because like someone else said, they are very small when wet and even sounded sorry for themselves! By 4pm I finally realised they won't get under cover unless they want to, I suspect it's about having their freedom, we had had our girls less than 2 weeks. Meanwhile, I am drying out 2 coats I got soaked and haven't told my OH that the lawnmower may never work again (unless we can get the do-do out of it first!)

On the plus side they seemed fine when they went to bed for the night and Martin next door has said I can have several 8' x 4' sheets of corrugated perspex he now has no use for to make them an awning, which I am almost 100% sure they will not use!
Everything comes to those who wait...
Lynne
Lively Laner

Post by Lynne »

I've pretty much gone down the same route as you today! I've opened the shed and tried to coax them in there. I too came to the conclusion that they wanted to be out, but they WERE huddled together trying to keep dry so it made so sense! Looks like we have a couple more days of rain and added to this. it snowed here tonight! it's quite a covering! I wonder what they will make of it all tomorrow!
wendy

Post by wendy »

It is throwing down so far today and my girls have ventured out to eat and are now back inside except my youngsters.Who I have had since 17th October.
I have been thinking of putting the jumper on Gladys as it is getting colder. But it would just get soaked in this weather and hold the wet next to her body all the time. Time to make jumpers for all weathers ??
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

The awning might work.
Mine use their summer-house. It's 2 squares hinged together and a triangle held in place with string and cup-hooks. I use it as a spare arc (with another triangle for a door, but leave it in the run and they go the out of the sun, wind or pouring rain. And it keeps the feed hopper dry.
If it's not there they stay out except in real solid downpours.