Hugh's Chicken Run

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yep.
I never thought she was going to change her mind. She has been on TV had some free food, not that she needs it !! and as you say probably a star is born. Such is our strange TV world.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning

Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

Not that she needs it! What do you mean Wendy? LOL

Michele
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Yeah, don't go round the houses Wendy :-D

Mind you, a similar TV 'self made' TV celeb of similar ilke did meet their comeupance didn't they !!

(Thank goodness)
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Hi All - feel like I've been gone forever!!!!!!

Wasn't it just a brilliant programme - it warms my heart, that eventually this problem is being highlighted in such a way that the general public will start to take an interest!!!

Hailey was an annoying woman, and I believe she was doing it on purpose. Did you see how she barely comforted her son - as if she was paying him lip service.

My main gripe with her is: If she can't afford free range chicken because she is a "single mother" on "low income" - then why is she so large!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There - said it now - the large 'person'can obviously afford enough rubbish to make her large, so if she were to cut down on that, then she'd be able to afford a humanely reared chicken.

I wish Hugh had corrected her when she called them "batteries"

I'm not complaining though AND I'm so pleased I don't eat meat!!! Having just had two baby chicks for Christmas, then I really felt for the little petals!! Mine are 3 weeks old now, and were a present after I lost one of my other ex-batts over the break.
I'm looking forward to seeing how a "normal" chicken is supposed to act........but will be going back to my ex-batts - THEY NEED US!!

Good on you Hugh - and the progamme made Tesco look like complete tossers - GREAT!!!

Richard, please feel free to edit any of my incorrect comments!!!

RED is edited by Richard !!! (Sorry)
Small steps lead to big changes
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

Are we talking about the woman from Wife Swap by any chance Richard?

Michele
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
Richard

Post by Richard »

BB
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Lo
Lively Laner

Post by Lo »

and to add to all the comments Terry Wogan were reading some letters out from viewers this morning on Radio 2 reading things like "get off your high horse Hugh" and that Hugh can afford it so he shouldn't tell people they should buy free range chicken etc. I was so mad I nearly stopped the car to phone in (not that it is a phone in programme but I didn't think of that at that time) and rant - why can't they see that Hugh is not telling them that they MUST buy free range chicken but simply showing them the plight of the broilers in case they didn't already know thereby giving the the two sides so that they can make an informed decision when they do buy. I just don't understand why he is getting so much flack - at the end of the day we are a free country and people will do what they want - why are they moaning so much - unless they feel guilty of course!

Lo
Al B
Lively Laner

Post by Al B »

Have had a good rant at our chef at school today regarding us having free range chicken - he said the budget won't allow it! I suggested he use less, then bulk up curries etc. with veg - he said kids wont eat it then! I would strangle them if they were mine (or they would starve!)

I have printed out some posters and put them up around the school- am waiting to be told I have to remove them...........They can't make me take one out of my car though which is parked where everyone will see it!

Have now not been in or near a certain shop since November and we have survived! We have managed to source local alternatives for almost everything - quite labour intensive but much more satisfying.

My hubby said exactly the same about that silly woman - she obviously eats all the wrong things - most of which will cost more than a free range bird. How many people also manage to smoke / drink too much on a very limited budget? It is just an excuse for being too lazy to change their habits. Rant over!
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

Al,

I have also made a decision to stop using the shop beginning with T (tossers I think somebody else called them, perhaps that should be their new name).

Didn't catch that part of the Wogan programme that Lo is referring to. May well see when I get home if you can email comments to him. I have to say that he personally is always making silly disbelieving remarks about global warming etc, so perhaps we shouldn't expect too much sense from him.

Michele
Lo
Lively Laner

Post by Lo »

I took it that he was reading out bits from listeners' letters rather than them being his comments but I'm not really sure

Lo
Russell
Lively Laner

Post by Russell »

I suggest a change of tack.

Instead of trying to get people to eat 'free range' chicken, we should be asking people to stop eating 'cruel range' chicken.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I liked the fact that they all sat in the pub with their pints and said they couldn't afford decent food.
Weird or what ?
HFW is into the downshifting, growing your own food and all that, and it is the type of program that certain area's of the population will not watch. So they think that makes him elitist, which we all know is not so. Therefore they think he is acting high and mighty. I do hope that Jamie Oliver will have a better public relations, than the beleaguered HFW has had. He seems to have more of a popular appeal.
But even if these people are arguing their case with others that agree, it is being spoken about.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard

Post by Richard »

Right guy's, I think we've all got similar feelings about our lady friend's 'like of food, good or not' and have expressed them in a suitable manner - but, in view that we may get some visitors who also like their food (but probably good food) and they could consider us a load of super slim right wing anarchist section of Weightwatcher's Anonymous - me thinks it's time to sway away from that part.

Certainly have a go, we are simply discussing something which has been screened on national TV and radio.

Thanks, Richard

Just off to have some beans on toast )t'
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Hugh's Chicken Run

Post by AnnaB »

Last nights programme had me in tears - Chris went off to the study as he could not face another one (he cannot stand cruelty to animals). I wonder am I so soft or are the others that couldn't care less (also those that sell them) so hard.
Probably it is again the 'money god' that drives them.

Al B, lovely post it is a shame that more people out there cannot be bothered.

I am glad the programme was shown, I would say that the only thing that was lacking was the amount of chemicals and water that are pumped into these chickens to make their weight heavier.
A chicken that is properly reared produces meat and not a pan full of water when it is cooked.
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

That's a disappointing response - I would have thought more veg in the diet is exactly what the doctor ordered. He's not serving up turkey twizzlers is he?!!! :shock:
They used the excuse 'the kids won't eat it' on that school dinners show and the kids DID eat it (in the end!)
Like you say they could eat it or starve I reckon!
I'm sure if they had that food there available and that was the easiest choice they would soon relent......

Al B wrote:Have had a good rant at our chef at school today regarding us having free range chicken - he said the budget won't allow it! I suggested he use less, then bulk up curries etc. with veg - he said kids wont eat it then! I would strangle them if they were mine (or they would starve!)