Unwanted male chicks (pics r not 4 weak stomach)

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
keelan
Learner Laner

Post by keelan »

i was absolutely flabbergasted ( spelt rong i no hehe) to see what the egg industries do with male chicks. As male chicks cannot lay eggs and aren’t the same breeds as those chickens raised for meat, they are of no value to the egg or broiler industries after hatching, hundreds of millions of unwanted male chicks are killed by the commercial egg industry annually by gassing, crushing, or suffocation, its terrible i never actually knew what i was eating never again will i eat a shop brought egg unless their what our own chickens layed confortably, my one only wish is that we could do something to help stop the killings, does anyone know if you can get ahold of these male chicks before they are slaughtered maybe if you cant handle alot of chicks and are able to get some find them a good home to your friends neighbours local farmers anyone who will take good care for them. STOP THIS HAPPENING.http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/chicken.html

b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

i really shouldnt have looked at that link.
ignorance is bliss as they say.
im only getting 3 hens, maybe more as time goes on... but at least its 3 more hens free from the torture. doesnt make up for all those eggs ive eaten in my 25 years on this earth!
now ive traumatised myself with those images im going to go to bed and see if i can stop crying. its horrific.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Keelan.
Unfortunately these little birds suffer terribly at the hands of mankind. Look at Richards page on battery hens.
This is why myself, and many friends, rescue and give these girls a life [which is more than the boys even get the chance of having].
These chickens have no worth. The battery farmer gets about 2p per chicken from the food manufacturers, after they have worn themselves out laying 3 eggs in two days.
As I say they have no worth, so it seems sometimes no one seems to bother.
The only way is to not eat battery eggs or chickens that are not bought up correctly and killed humanely [certainly avoid KFC!!]. To tell everyone that will listen, about what is going on, and badger constantly the supermarket, Hellmans and the like. I doubt it will change in my lifetime. But I am sure it will in yours, if we all keep talking about it.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
keelan
Learner Laner

Post by keelan »

it is awful and i was talking to someone i met on another forum and she said that she went to her local egg producers and just asked for them they told her to come back on firday and when she went back they gave her a box with 78 chicks and 5 of them turned out to be hens so i may give that a shot and see what reply i get from them :wink:
wendy

Post by wendy »

ha ha Keelan,
What would you do with the 73 males, if only 5 were hens !!!

I assume she went through them and found the hens herself at the farmers. I had visions of you taking them all home. Wouldn't your parents be happy LOL
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Verity
Lively Laner

Post by Verity »

And... can you imagine the NOISE!?
Bock? Bock? Bock... bock... BOCKARGH!!!
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Oh Keelan
Haven't you read about sow pigs kept in cages no bigger than them suckling their young, Dairy cows never seeing a blade of grass? It is what man does in the persuit of profit and greed.
I could not look at the website at the pictures I find it all too disturbing. I will keep on looking after my girls and paying a sensible price for my meat and poultry ( our farmers also have to live), using the local milkman, buying as least as possible from supermarkets and definately not from the most dominant in this country.
If we all do our bit I am sure we can change things.
ps have you signed the petition on the RSPCA site about the battery hens?
Anna
keelan
Learner Laner

Post by keelan »

ha ha ha (f+ i dont think my mum would be very happy with 78 chickens hehe she said when we win the lottery ha ha. i have not heard of the petition for the rspca could you give me a link please manythanks.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Hi Keelan
If you go to www.rspca.org.uk and into campaigns you should be able to find the battery hen page - it appears that the petition has gone but it seems there is a 'game' that you can email to friends to make them aware of the circumstances.
You will find lots more on there about animal welfare.
Good luck with it.
keelan
Learner Laner

Post by keelan »

just had a look at the web page its got alot of info on it haha :razz: do you know were you can find out were your local egg producers are? if u find out plz tell me :P
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I was looking for the petition (before you put the lihk up) and started reading the Freedom Foods pages about the conditionsthat barnand free range hens should be kept under.
It was a 65 page Adobe doc. so I didn't get to the end of it.

The bit I found interesting was the bit where they said that they recommended free range but hens that were to be kept as free range should be put into free range before they were 21 weeks old, and if producers had hens older than this in barns they should wait and change over to free range just before they got the next lot.

Not exactly what the chicken rescuers here do.

They didn't say if hens that had been reared in barns wouldn't take to the change (that's how I read it) or if it's just so that the eggs can be acurately labelled.
keelan
Learner Laner

Post by keelan »

yea all sites post different thing and i havnt a clue :mrgreen:
What Goes Around , Comes Around!!