Jamies Fowl Dinners - Post here

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Wendy is right, no time to sit back!
Down the Lane over the last 4 days has increased in visitors approx four fold.
But, I'm expecting it back to normal in a couple of weeks time.

I think that Jane could be quite busy this year. Poor lass, there's nothing of her - she needs feeding up!

Russell - Valid point !! Let's hope it's sooner than later!!

BTW - Nice cameo with Bill Oddie I thought.

On the point about single mum's etc. in both programmes, no one has mentioned University Students from not so well off homes.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome

Johnhson
Site Admin

Post by Johnhson »

The thing I thought was most hopeful was he was pushing for 'Freedom Foods' and 'Barn Eggs'. I know these aren't ideal but they are attainable.

There's an awful lot of people saying "I can't afford cruelty free chicken" Perhaps they can be persuaded into paying just a little more.
And yes, they annoy me too but I'm convinced we'll get them converted eventually - or maybe they'll like this new meat like product I'm thinking of selling. It's called Soylent Green

I had no idea you could get egg roll and wet egg products. Disgusting.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Prophetic John !!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
littlefeat
Lively Laner

Post by littlefeat »

i bet all the ones that say they cant afford free range still find the extra money each year for their fags and booze, mobile phones and the such, when these things go up people complain but still find the cash for them. if they used the products (chicken)properley,for two meals instead of one, then free range would actually save them money. when i was a single mum, for a while i only has £3. a week for my food after ide bought what i needed for my little one, and paid the rent and bills, and i managed ( i worked i was not on benefits).

littlefeat
at home with 1 dog, 2 rats, 3 rabbits, 6 fish, 4 cats, 8 chickens, 2 kids and 1 hubby
Logopolis
Learner Laner

Post by Logopolis »

I was shocked to discover caged hens eggs in mayo & stuff, mind you it doen't surprise me...and what about that MRM (thinks thats the name) junk that thankfully has been phased out now...it seems the food industry has been quite happily feeding us crap for years!

Good one Hellmans!...i think other companies will get on the band wagon if only to promote there product...

Tesco, no surprise! watch them back track as soon as all other supermarkets do it...if the Co-Op can why not Tesco, oh and which one said they will not sell battery eggs in their own brand? mmm does that mean you will sell other names of battery eggs...but not yours!

After getting my chickens in late 2006 the biggest thing for me was the taste of the eggs....reminded me of having egg & soldiers at my Grandmas house as a boy, yes cage hens eggs are cheap but you pay the price in taste (same goes for broiler chooks)

)t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi.
Yes Johnson I thought he was good to say buy the freedom foods, rather than organic. I dislike it also, but better than the alternative.

Logopolis.
It is surprising what eggs are in. The obvious is mayonaise and salad cream etc. But every biscuit, every loaf or roll that has a glaze.All the cakes etc etc.
The supermarkets that are putting it into their own products are doing very well. But it will be a long, long time before it is out of the processed food and it wouldn't be good business sense to not sell them. They would have empty shelves.
Consumers have such power in their hand and they don't realise it.
We have bombarded Hellmans for well over a couple of years to do this. I think it has helped. We have got Warburtons to change the source of eggs they use.
You can all do it, the pen is mightier than the sword. Backed up of course by your MONEY. If you don't like the practice don't buy it. Just have to get into reading lables LOL
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Johnhson
Site Admin

Post by Johnhson »

Logopolis wrote: oh and which one said they will not sell battery eggs in their own brand? mmm does that mean you will sell other names of battery eggs...but not yours!'

Welcome to the wonderful world of marketing!

Actually Sainsbury's should consider their abysmal failure to take advantage of a potential coup.

Their demographic is skewed towards those with more disposable income and they could have used this as an opportunity to gain the high moral ground and promote themselves as an 'ethical' company without prejudicing their core business.

What's the point of paying 1.2M a year for a celeb and not capitalising on him. I'd replace the CEO and marketing directors with some more proactive people.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Just read your post Russell.
I pray to God nightly, that the day will come when I can't get any more ex battery hens.
There will still be the 'spent' free range girls. They also do not live their lives out and go to slaughter when they are deemed to be worn out. There will still be plenty for you to rescue.
Wendy

paxo
Lively Laner

Post by paxo »

wendy wrote:Just read your post Russell.
I pray to God nightly, that the day will come when I can't get any more ex battery hens.
There will still be the 'spent' free range girls. They also do not live their lives out and go to slaughter when they are deemed to be worn out. There will still be plenty for you to rescue.
Wendy

here here and by the wat I'm F.A.T too and still by food that has been treated respectfully
Richard

Post by Richard »

You can't get too much of a good thing !!! :-D

Wish I could put it on.

However, much action over the next few weeks I think. Strike whilst the iron is hot.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Jamies Fowl Dinners - Post here

Post by AnnaB »

Just could not watch all the programme - still I do not need to be converted.

England is supposed to be an animal loving nation - the cat recently dropped 30ft made the papers. (I do not agree with what happened to it)

These poor chickens should be front page headlines daily.

A worrying note here is that if it is banned those greedy s/m's will import more from the east.
I do wish that a bad health scare could come of eating the chickens/eggs from this form of production - the low uncaring, earners would soon learn....
Johnhson
Site Admin

Re: Jamies Fowl Dinners - Post here

Post by Johnhson »

AnnaB wrote:Just could not watch all the programme - still I do not need to be converted.

England is supposed to be an animal loving nation - the cat recently dropped 30ft made the papers. (I do not agree with what happened to it)

These poor chickens should be front page headlines daily.

A worrying note here is that if it is banned those greedy s/m's will import more from the east.
I do wish that a bad health scare could come of eating the chickens/eggs from this form of production - the low uncaring, earners would soon learn....

I thought there was some evidence that factory grown chicken had a high fat content and wasn't the healthy meat that old fashioned chicken is.

I don't see why we can't legally ban foods from outside the EU where they don't meet our health & safety (thin cover for welfare) standards.

One a more general note..

It's hard and long work changing attitudes, but it can be done. Follow Richard's link to Compassion in World Farming at the top of the page and, if you haven't, sign up, It doesn't even cost you!
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Excellent programme - I'm looking forward to the effects it will have on people!!

I'm starting to get texts from people saying "didn't you get your chickens from that woman" and "oh my god - didn't realise it was so bad" and "I'll never eat them again"

It's good news, but I'm disappointed that it's taken this, when I've always answered their questions - I just don't think they quite believed me and thought I was some mad veggie.

I've had a good idea though. I'm going to make an "eggs from caged hens poster - with a piccie" - then go into T. E. S. C. O and put it up in front of their value eggs!!!!!!

Shall we all do it on the same day at the same time at our local one!!!!???
I also took great pleasure in squashing one of the value eggs yesterday when I paid them a visit!! )c(
Small steps lead to big changes
wendy

Post by wendy »

Seems a good idea. But only if you don't want to shop there again.
I have a friend who has been banned from the Watford one because of a similar thing.
It will take some time as Johnson said. Please don't think we have won the war. It is a small battle we had had some victory in. The proof is when it dies down and it goes to the back of peoples minds, and the might of money takes over again. That is when we need to keep up the campaigning.

Wendy

Johnhson
Site Admin

Post by Johnhson »

You know the supermarket isn't the enemy - they are obeying the laws of the land and the directors are obligated to act to maximise profits for the shareholders, within the law.

If people are turned off buying cruelty foods then the supermarkets will drop them like a hot brick and the politicians will stop it by law.

I'm sorry, but all this anti-supermarket stuff is, in my opinion, misguided. Vote with your own purse, complain when the shelves don't have free-range on them and write to your MP.

Convince people gently, I promise you that people as a whole only ever act in their own perceived best interest. Sell the concept of 'this chicken had a good life' more than 'this chicken had a bad life' and tell that free-range is better (taste, quality, health)

I did 20 years (little time off for good behaviour) in sales and marketing and I know how you get people to buy. The supermarkets have made it all about price - we need to make it about quality (self benefit) and feeling good about yourself (the ethical issues)

I will now retire behind the sandbags...