Jamies Fowl Dinners - Post here

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

I think it's each to their own. Convincing gently doesn't always work - neither does a harsh message. I do believe that "this chicken had a good life" falls on deaf ears, if they don't know that "this chicken had a bad life"

I think I'll just go with what feels right at the time - and as I consumer, I don't have a marketing background, but I know how I feel!

With regards to maximisation of shareholder health - what do I know - I'm only an Accountant. Remember, the modern organisation is also interested in reputation, brand image, ethics and corporate governence!
Small steps lead to big changes

wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi
I am with Johnson on this. We must vote with our money it is the only way. We can softly, softly or get out there and be militant. Neither will work if people keep buying.
The full on has been with all the programs, every night this week there has been a program about food quality. That is how you are going to get some people who don't care two hoots about animals welfare, especially chickens.
I know it is hard to understand, but some people just are not concerned for animals.
We have had the waterfall, it may be our drip, drip again.
We will get there Morph. But some things just take time, and I have always said I think this is one of them.
By all means go with your heart. But try not to get arrested LOL and don't get too dispointed if it takes a while
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Jamies Fowl Dinners - Post here

Post by AnnaB »

Hi Johnhson

I have looked on the web and also get petitions from other sources - I do sign them all.

You are right about voting with your feet/purse. A few years ago I was offered a free burger voucher from a young girl distributing them. I told her a few facts - caged hens, destruction of rain forests etc, and hoped she would then tell her friends about this mad woman refusing a free voucher.

There are certain countries I would not buy from that is my choice. There are also shops in this Country I would not step foot in even if they were giving it all away free.
It would be an idyllic life if people would stop chasing money, this would include shareholders.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Voting with your shopping power, is true Anna.
I am sure we did it with South Africa by not buying any produce from that Country. I did not buy for years.
We can do it, just not instantly. Which unfortunately is what society wants nowadays. That is why the chickens suffer...fast food.
Wendy

Carn_Steve
Learner Laner

Post by Carn_Steve »

Grew your own lol

I watched Hugh last week and now watching Jamia this week and with people saying that they can not afford free range Chickens is RUBBISH !

I do not work (Un-employed) all i do is just move the cost somewhere else like getting a slightly cheaper can of baked beans - etc so every one can go free range.

What i did not know was that they used battery items in things like the mayo they had on the show!

This is one of the main reasons i want to have my own chooks

Steve
I'm new to the Chicken keeping scene.
http://homers.hopto.org/chickens
wendy

Post by wendy »

You are right Steve. I have not been unemployed, but was a very young widow [24] with two babies 3 & 4. I had to work, no such thing as widows pension when I was that age. On a very meagre wage. But we ate properly, managed my money and not get in debt. I did not drink or smoke.

Eat your own?. I think if you can do it, it is a good idea. You know how it was reared and fed.
Unfortunately or not, once it comes in my house it goes out when God calls it. I could no more eat my animals than my kids LOL
Wendy

Johnhson
Site Admin

Post by Johnhson »

morph wrote:I think I'll just go with what feels right at the time - and as I consumer, I don't have a marketing background, but I know how I feel!

With regards to maximisation of shareholder health - what do I know - I'm only an Accountant. Remember, the modern organisation is also interested in reputation, brand image, ethics and corporate governence!

I do have a marketing / sales history and I see nothing wrong in applying those skills to a good cause. Goodness knows I've sold people on enough bad ideas in the past.

I don't agree with you regarding ethics and corporate governance - what they're really interested in is the appearance of being ethical and getting away with it. I've been there when discussions were made that came down to 'if we get caught, then the profit is still greater than the fine'
New to all this
Lively Laner

Post by New to all this »

Went to the local market on Saturday. They had sold out of Freerange chicken. There was masses of broiler chicken left. The stall owners were trying to fob people off with 'corn fed' chicken. Needless to say I asked very LOUDLY if they were freerange or broilers and he wouldnt give me a straight answer!!!! He did say that next week he would be buying extra freerange - so this is a move in the right direction.
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Johnhson wrote
I don't agree with you regarding ethics and corporate governance - what they're really interested in is the appearance of being ethical and getting away with it. I've been there when discussions were made that came down to 'if we get caught, then the profit is still greater than the fine'

You don't have to agree with me Johnhson - as it was a fact rather than an opinion I was offering. With changes in legislation regarding corporate governence and some reports under UK Gaap and International Accounting Standards - companies are moving towards the ethical side of their financial reporting, which will eventually filter down. The UK Accounting Standards Board are in the process of drafting legislation concerning just this, and we shall have to wait and see what happens. 20 years ago compared to today is slightly different and "if we get caught scenario" is more prevelant in the laws of today's society. I hope this trend continues so the "big guns" cannot get away with it.

I have been voting with my purse for years, and having ex-batts of my own, do not buy eggs unless I have to. I also became a vegetarian due to animal welfare issues. Things cannot change instantly - I know that, which is why "voting with the purse is so important"

People do need a "little push", and if they needed gentle persuasion, and only showing the good bits of free range life, then why have these programmes had such an impact?

Charities when asking for donations, don't show footage of "look what you've done for these people and animals", but show footage of the problems, to "guilt trip" people into donating!
Small steps lead to big changes
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

I think you need different strategies for different people. Some will respond to the shock value of seeing the reality of how badly animals are kept, but other people will 'turn off' to things that are negative and prefer to ignore it instead.
I haven't seen the TV shows that you are discussing but it sounds from what you're saying like some of the people arent convinced by being told how badly the animals are treated. I guess they fall into the category of people who 'turn off' to the reality.
manda

Post by manda »

I know this showed in the UK some time ago but it hit New Zealand tonight...
I was impressed with the programme but I wonder what effect has it had in the longer term given that it was a few months ago that it was shown?...It would seem that as far as T.E.S.C.O is concerned very little.. they are still sticking to their "people on a tight budget" speak if their latest dealings with HFW is anything to go by but I wonder if there has been any change with shoppers..anyone noticed?

I'm glad I have my girls so I don't have to buy eggs, I make my own mayonnaise and from that all sorts of other dressings but I wonder what I'm missing that may contain the dreaded cage eggs. I am going to be looking even more carefully now.

I will be interested to see what the reaction is here....I'm hoping it will add to the drip drip drip that is on the increase with people keeping their own chickens and becoming more aware of what's in or makes up their food.

I'm disappointed that it's taken this, when I've always answered their questions - I just don't think they quite believed me and thought I was some mad veggie.

Yes Morph, it is sad that it takes someone like JO to get people to sit up and pay attention. I'm not veggie but I rear my own animals or I source so I know where my food is coming from but I'm pretty sure that some of my friends think I'm mad regardless when I get my soap box out (I'm hoping that this will get them thinking a lot more). I guess it's that fickle world where if you are famous somehow your opinion is sooo much more valid :? At least he's using his celebrity status for something useful and if he gets some of them to pay attention then fair play to him, it's got to start somewhere.

It's so important that people know how / where the food they eat is produced then at least they can make an informed decision about how they buy. I'm thankful that programmes like this give people the opportunity to get the information, because lets face the producers aren't putting it out there are they because they know how unpalatable it would be to so many.
For those who are unaffected by information like that..well what's to say really :cry:
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny