I want to rescue some ex batts

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Vanno
Learner Laner

I want to rescue some ex batts

Post by Vanno »

I live near Nottingham and would like to rescue a couple of Battery hens to keep as egg laying pets. Anyone know where I can buy them from? I have done my homework and understand what is required to give these birds a wonderful new home.
You will never know where and when.....

melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Hiya,

Well done you, they make brilliant pets, maybe not a guaranteed source of eggs, one of my ladies certainly hasn't done any, but then that's not her job )j; & I don't care if she does or she doesn't, bless her, but entertainment value is 2nd to none with ex batts & any eggs are just a bonus, they are very comical & heart rending all in one hit.
How many hens are you wanting to take on? & when would you be ready for some, & are you willing to travel for some, sorry about a million questions, but there is a slight possiblity of some soon in Bedfordshire, would that help? :?
Cheers
mel x
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi.
As Mel says they are just wonderful and comical.
But the eggs are a bonus. That is the reason the farm has got rid of them. They are at the end of their laying.
My gilrs lay for a while after I got them but, I have 7 girls and no eggs at the moment.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Excellent news Vanno - I also have ex-batts for 2 year now, and they're great.

If you go to http://www.bhwt.org.uk/rescue-coordinators.php this is the list of rescue co-ordinators

Good luck!! Have you seen the other posting regarding 50% off starter kits for those who rescue ex-batts

http://www.manorfarmwoodcraft.co.uk/#

Good luck!!!
Small steps lead to big changes
Vanno
Learner Laner

Post by Vanno »

Well that's brilliant and thanks to you guys for taking the time to help. No too sure when we we be ready to go. My plan is for late spring early summer. I was hoping to let them simply roam around the garden as long as they don't do too much damage to my veg. My garden is surounded on all sides by a 6ft fence so I hope that will keep Mr Fox out. I didn't know about the discount starter kits for ex-bats so I will check that too. I will keep you posted as to my progress....
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Vanno.
If they don't do any damage to your veg it will be the first time I am afraid. The whole of my garden went. In the end, much as I love them, I built a run and they only occassionally free range now.
Good luck with your plans and well done for wanting to give these girls a life.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes, you either fence the hens or fence the veg!
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Rescue....

Post by AnnaB »

HI Vanno

If you are looking for ex battery girls spring/summer you need to contact BHWT now. There is always a waiting list and I think that with the latest programmes the coordinators have been inundated with queries.
Vanno
Learner Laner

Post by Vanno »

I did suspect that my veg would be attractive to the birds but hey, I can build a rice large run and still keep the veg. Good to hear so many people are wanting to give homes to the birds, we as a family are really excited abouit the project.
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

http://www.knowlenets.co.uk/

I've brought masses of netting from these guys, so I can give the girls access to the garden where "I" want them to go i.e not round the pond & through to next doors garden, it is so cheap & has always arrived the next day, they sell it in any shape size or length, but is obviously not fox proof, the girls have never got out )t' & being black, it looks ok in the garden too, I just weave bean poles through it & tie the top if it to the pole with small cable ties, to stop it from slipping down.
Cheers
mel x
radjk
Learner Laner

Post by radjk »

Melons, i'm new to this and currently in the process of designing my own coop and run. I wondered if the netting you have would be suitable for the roof of my run. I had a look on the website and it would be much cheaper than using chicken wire but there isnt much detail. On the pictures it looks similar to the cheap green netting we use to keep birds off the veg and obviously this wouldnt be strong enough.

Thanks
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Hi radjk, I have used it for the top of my girls roof, but I'm going to change it all round soon, I suppose it depends on how high your roof is :? mines nearly 6 foot, I've had no problems with it, I've been really quite pleased.
The reasons for changes are because, I over looked the fact that I can't now cut the hedge :? so we're making 3 seperate roof panels so they will lift off in 3 sections covered in avairy mesh, with plastic corrugated sheets on top of that to keep the girls dry.
I dont' know..... you think your hen area is finished then I modify it again :oops: :oops:
Cheers
mel x
radjk
Learner Laner

Post by radjk »

Thanks for that, mine will be about 6'6" so that should be fine and should save a few quid!

cheers