Thats it im going veggie

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
chickdom
Lively Laner

Post by chickdom »

I have been vegetarian since I was 15 (much to my mum's dismay!), My husbands family all turned vegetarian when he was 5 years old and we bring our 4 children up as vegetarians. We are all brimming with good health and happiness, and the kids don't feel they are missing out on anything. We are very well catered for in restaurants and supermarkets, but I do try to make alot of our food from "scratch", that way I know exactly what's going into it and its alot more economical....just time consuming! Our friends and our children's friends are pretty supportive, although at times we are used as the butt of the joke..you know the old "what kind of a man doesn't eat meat" and "what can we get you? Help yourself to the grass?"
And I love it when people say "oh you're vegetarian......do you eat chicken and fish?"!!?? How does that work?
It's a fantastic way to live your life...unfortunately (and fortunately) it opens your eyes and mind up to everything.
My in laws are veges (apart from my 2 brothers in law) My mum is too. My dad is a slaughterer...has been since I was a child. Which is strange that I was thinking about how I could stop eating meat from the age of 9! Good luck Lou! )ch(
Last edited by chickdom on 04 Aug 2008, 20:30, edited 2 times in total.
many animals, 4 children, 1 very patient husband!

Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Don't think we've had an update from you Lou, how's it going? Have you got everyone on your side?

chickdom, I know I am a lot healthier now, but try telling that to carnivores. They say, 'how do you get your protein, what about your iron and calcium, etc etc.' I can't be bothered to explain any more. It is part of my long term plan to keep myself healthy, fit, and mobile for as long as I can.

Ilona
)t'
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Thank you Ilona, i am doing very well. My parents are excepting it a bit more now ((w

Only prob is my 8yr old daughter, she will not eat pork, beef and only eats free range chicken when i can prove that it was a "happy chicken" :?
Fine at home but eating out anywhere is tricky :shock: (nit that we do alot, lol)

She is good with eating veggies but not so much on getting other forms of protein, and she is a growing child. Hmm she is 8 going on 18!
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
wendy

Post by wendy »

Pulses, cheese, eggs are all protien. Will she eat those ? and fish if she will eat it.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

So so on the eggs, will eat them in a quiche, and boiled occasionally.
Fish and cheese is no problem.
I guess the only time she will eat pulses is in a stew type thing ??
Is that enough for a growing child?
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

My dinner today.
Big plate (3 normal portions) of steamed vegetables from my garden, I never boil veg. Potatoes, yellow and green courgettes, runner beans, broccolli, carrots, with 2 of Linda M's veggie sausages. I have the veg most days in season, never get fed up with it.
Photobucket
scrumptious )eat( no meat here

Ilona
)t'
methinks this should move onto food topic
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Looks delicious…. Would look far better with gravy and a decent portion of lamb chops or roast beef…
)j; only joking, it looks very nice.xx
Bah Humbug
wendy

Post by wendy »

I am on my way Ilona, set another place.

I have a lovely Moroccan chickpea stew. I am sure she would love that.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning