Ex-batts floppy crowns

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
cjskjs
Lively Laner

Ex-batts floppy crowns

Post by cjskjs »

Hi
We were very proud to welcome 10 ex-batts late last night from Carly and the London rescue. Carly said they were in really good condition considering. They seem to be settling in nicely although their crowns are very floppy and pale pink. Will these perk up with fresh water and good food? Is there anything else we can give them as an extra boost? Our 4 ex-barn hens are being a little bossy but they have been mainly inside today due to the rain, fingers crossed the nice weather returns soon.
Caroline

New to all this
Lively Laner

Post by New to all this »

You could sprinkle a little bit of poultry spice into their food - it is for when they are under the weather. Also Apple CIder Vinegar (horsey one) is god as well. - put it into their water.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Their combs are used, I believe, to regulate their heat, like a dogs tongue. So therefore, as it is so hot in the battery the combs get very big. So more air can go across them and cool them down.
As they are in fresh air the combs, usually, shrink down. Some of them keep their bonnets on. But most go down to a managable size LOL
As to the colouring. That is because again they haven't had any fresh air, sunshine etc. As they get stronger and out of the battery longer their combs and wattles turn a blood red and they really look healthy. They have pale eyes also. It is all the artificial light.
My Gladys and Doris were the palest chickens I had ever seen.
They looked like ghosts. It was weird. But little Gladdy is beautiful now. Doris didn't make it I am sorry to say.
A couple of months down the road and they will be a different birds.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
cjskjs
Lively Laner

Post by cjskjs »

Thank you, that makes me feel better.
I'd prepared the kids for what they may look like and to be fair looking at some of the photos on the site they are kinda at the middle stage, but i don't think I'D fully prepared myself!!!!
I know we're doing a good thing and they will now have a happier life, but i feel so sad for all the others that i can't help.
wendy

Post by wendy »

We will never be able to rescue the thousands that there are.
Be thankful for those that have given a life to. Otherwise you will end up eating yourself up.
We are trying and by educating the consumer, we will eventually get rid of those awful cages. But it will take time.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Karen
Lively Laner

Post by Karen »

Good luck with them. I was wondering who the lucky rehomer from Bristol was! )t'
cjskjs
Lively Laner

Post by cjskjs »

Hi
Were in Frampton Cotterell just outside of Bristol. Our 14 hens seem to be having a great time, they have 4 sections to their run, inside with wood chips and straw, bark outside the door, a few patio slabs and the extention is an ex-flower bed which they all enjoy. Since the ex-batts arrived we've had a steady egg production, min of 6, max of 10 a day. All our family and friends are enjoying the freshness as are we.
Caroline )t'
cjskjs
Lively Laner

Post by cjskjs »

Sorry forgot to say, the floppy crowns are gradually being restored to their should be glory and redness.