URGENT - HENS NEEDING HOMES (June'08)

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

It sounds like more farmers are opening up to the idea of rescue rather than slaughter - especially if they get more money from them.

To be honest, I don't mind at all - would rather pay £1 each and see them happy, than the farmer get less and they go to slaughter.....

However, I do hope that they don't see this as more lucrative in the long run for ex-batts v barn or free range if you see what I mean...
Small steps lead to big changes

wendy

Post by wendy »

That would be good if they all started doing it.
If more come out, then more people will have chickens in their back garden. Hence no need to buy eggs, battery or otherwise, from the shops )t'
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

good luck to those collecting hens and hope everything went well jo.
on river cottage the other week they rescued some from the farm, he brought them out upside down, the poor lady was crying and the farmer was saying they are alright! Are they really... )de: those of you who get them straight from the farm are brave, i don;t think i could face it or keep my cool!

Well done, more free girls )c(
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
wendy

Post by wendy »

I never think it is alright to hold an animal that never does it naturally upsidedown.
I hated it when the faarmer bought them out. None of us did it.I can assure you.
Wendy

lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

No i can imagine, as i said you are brave. when diane from bhwt told me how they came out i couldn't belive it! have you been inside a battery wendy?
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

You see hens being taken out of cages at Auctions like that sometimes.
I know it's difficult when there are so many together, but after a year standing up.............no.

I've been a Battery Farm. To sum it up

Noise
Smell
Heat

Inhumanity

Then you come out with a lump in your throat (or outright tears)because probably plus 90% will never see a real day and breathe real air.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

At the doorway Lou, putting them in the boxes.
Spencer and others went in.
Wendy

kattcollins
Legendary Laner

Post by kattcollins »

I'm hoping to get a couple of hens from carly next month but I'm thankful that someone else is doing the collection from the farms, I couldn't bare it, for the likes of all those wonderful people out there who do the rescues they deserve a medal for their hard work and dedication to the cause, without them thousands of hens would be destroyed, I'm getting all blubby and teary eyed so better go. :cry:
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

For a long journey home I would advise using a pet carrier or crate to keep the hens cool. If you can manage to get them some water this would also help.

Good luck :-D They will soon recover from their journey. After all, it was a much shorter one they were going to have but with no happy ending :cry:
Jackie xx
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

Sounds good to me. They are lucky to be coming to you.

I don't blame you for not wanting to go in, I wouldn't. I wouldn't want to even talk to them if they had been rude to me but I suppose they could always refuse to sell them to you out of spite.

looks like you are all set!

Hope all goes well )t'
Jackie xx
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

jreeve wrote:I'm hoping the people at the Lampeter farm will go and get them so i dont have to actually go in - i know normally farmers wont want you to see whats going on, but seeing as this farm is shutting down, will they even care?

I'm also worried about getting upset seeing the farm and the chickens in that situation - the lady on the phone at lampeter eggs was extremely rude to me when i rang up, and i think il have to try very hard to act my usual polite self if these people are pulling 'my' hens out by their legs. But i suppose you just have to get on with it and think that in a few hours all of that will be over.

Regarding the lady on the phone - I sometimes have to deal with people who are rude to me on the phone (er, they phone me by the way) - I always try to imagine that they are having a bad day, or someone has upset them - daft as it seems that way I don't end up thinking 'why were they rude to me' all day.

Good luck with getting your hens - they truly are worth it!!!! )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/