Ex Bats in the bristol area??

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
kattcollins
Legendary Laner

Ex Bats in the bristol area??

Post by kattcollins »

Hi there, I've decided to get a couple of ex bats, I have 3 chooks already but desperately want to give a couple of chickens a new life. Trouble is I hate driving long distances and wondered if anyone knows of any in or around my area?

thanks

manda

Post by manda »

Hi There and welcome
I know that you can go through the Battery Hen Welfare Trust (http://www.bhwt.org.uk/) you will be able to find who's near to you and you can put your name down for some ex-batts when they have a rescue.
The other way is to contact the farms direct, but I don't know how that works in the UK now given all the PR at the moment (in NZ they'll grab a couple for you).
There will be someone on here during your daylight hours who will be able to give you more help I'm sure. :-D
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hello
Welcome to the forum.
We did a rescue a couple of weeks back and managed to drive them to different area's. Get onto the co ordinator carly@northlondonhenrescue.org.uk and ask her about getting some. I think there may be one in July or September.
You will not be able to take less than three hens, unless you have some already. They are flock animals and because they have been through such a traumatic life and then the rescue. One may not make it and it would be cruel to have just one hen. With three if you lose one you still have a little flock.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
kattcollins
Legendary Laner

Post by kattcollins »

Thanks Wendy :)
wendy

Post by wendy »

Just noticed there are quite a few mails about hens coming out. Maybe you can find some that are within driving distance.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
nettles
Lively Laner

Post by nettles »

Hi kattcottrell, nice to finally see someone else in the Bristol area, we live in Pucklechurch and have 3 ex-batts, we recently lost one- she wasn't ill, just went to sleep and that was that. I am so glad because I hate it when they are not well.

We got ours from Jane at the BHWT last November. We were going to get a couple of normal bred hens this time to mix them up a bit but I have changed my mind, again.

We have no transport at the moment so if you do track some hens down I would be willing to chip in to travel with you to get 3 more chooks, if you wouldn't mind? If you are not happy with the idea just say, I won't be offended.

Hello everyone else, long time no see! I have been reading the posts but struggling a bit to communicate outside work...I now sound as mad as my chooks!
Everything comes to those who wait...
kattcollins
Legendary Laner

Post by kattcollins »

Hi Nettles
I've been in touch with carly recently about a rescue which is due next month, if she can find someone from bristol to do some travelling then I'm in for 2 girls, if you like I can email her to say you would like 3 as well, hopefully the more people from the bristol area that wants some ex batts the more likely we are to have some, unfortunately I hate driving and will only drive in and around the bristol area but would be happy to deliver to you if they can deliver to me,,,,,,sorry if this don't make sense, had a bad day so had a wee drinky or two :-D

ps I love cats too, I have a ragdoll who I love to bits and enjoy watching the chickens ambush him in the garden, I had a beautiful birman but he recently died of a saddle thrombosis, we used to call him buddha boy as i'm sure he was a reincarnated buddhist monk 8)
nettles
Lively Laner

Post by nettles »

You are making perfect sense to me, and that is a great idea, I would pay for petrol etc for whoever can deliver, that would be great.

Oooh, what a good idea, drinkies on the way for me too!
We love cats too, we have 5, but not posh like yours!

Ours are rescues: Princess Raggamuffin is approx 14 and my OH has had her 11years,
Brandy is two and was unwanted, we let her have kittens just once and had her speyed. We have kept all 3 kittens and they are now a year old: Smokey, Sooty and Snowy, all girls and all speyed, and they are hilarious. Smokey likes the chooks and the others are no longer scared of them which is great.
Today has been a hoot because a squirrel has adopted us, I found him 30ft up our house asleep on a bat box (which the sparrows nest in) we have nicknamed him Cyril and the chooks and cats have been in uproar all day, but I figure they may co-exist eventually. I reckon he has as much right to be around as they do!!
kattcollins
Legendary Laner

Post by kattcollins »

Ahh all your critters sound like they are co-existing just fine :)

I'll let you know if I hear anything about the rescue and in the mean time I'll email carly :)

ps
If you did consider buying some hens other than ex batts, have you tried here: http://www.anniehallspoultry.co.uk/ I bought my hennys from Annie and she was great, just up the road from you I think, in fact Im thinking of paying her another visit soon so if you ever want to come up and have a look around and see what she got let me know :-D
Last edited by kattcollins on 24 Jun 2008, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
nettles
Lively Laner

Post by nettles »

Brilliant, thankyou
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

We have squirrels that eat all our hazel nuts.
Some people are rather against them ('rats with tails'), and you certainly don't want them in the loft, chewing through the wires!
Having a cat probably keeps them from getting too cheeky, we have had less problems with rabbits eating the veg. since we adopted Pat-the-cat.
nettles
Lively Laner

Post by nettles »

Mo, one of our moggies has broken off the end of the squirrel's tail, I am so glad I wasn't around when it happened, just found the evidence later. Ouch!!

Kattcottrell, Siston is only about 3 miles away, lovely village. I really want ex-batts again though because they are really lovely natured and friendly. Most of all because I like saving them, I wish I had a field!

x
twin - mum
Lively Laner

Post by twin - mum »

Hi,
I am hoping to get some ex batts from Carly at the beginning of August. I live in Hanham and could easily drop a few extras in to people if needed.If you fill in the form on their new website http://www.northlondonhenrescue.org.uk/ and say I'll transport them for you that is no problem. Let me know where I'm going though!
Billie x (f+
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Or ring your local RSPCA - they sometimes know of somewhere.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
nettles
Lively Laner

Post by nettles »

twin-mum,

Is there any chance you could collect 3 or 4 for me please?

We only have 2 now out of our original four and they look a bit lost now in our garden,

I have filled in the application form on Carley's website

x