Ex-Battery Hen Keeper

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
OldForum
Lively Laner

Ex-Battery Hen Keeper

Post by OldForum »

Dori
I have taken in retired battery hens for some years now. In the last couple of years I have found it increasingly difficult to track them down. Probably a good thing! Means the farms are dying out,I hope. Roll on 2012! This week I managed to buy another 12. Under the circumstances and thinking back to others I have had, this lot look quite good and surprisingly the beaks do not appear to be clipped. If I had the room I would have more. I do have to keep them in a run when I am not at home because of a recent daytime visit from Mr Foxy, but they get out every opportunity possible to roam the garden. Although my new lot will have to adapt a little first.. they are feeling a little agrophobic at the moment!! It won't be long before they to are enjoying the rest of the garden. Nice website, Dori

Carolyn
Our hens were supposedly from a free range unit but most spent their time inside and ours had their beaks cut but they were delightful and layed well and were very tame and had a lovely life until the fox took them in the day

Joe
can anyone tell me where i can get an ex battery hen

Magenta
We got our battery hens from an egg farm listed in the yellow pages. We were put on to them by someone on another board, obvious really but we didn't think of it.

We rang and asked if they had any end of lay hens and were offered as many as we wanted for 50p each.

Mr.Macca
Just got to say what you guys do to give these ex-battery hens another life is outstanding!
If i had the room i would do the same without a doubt.
Plese keep up the good work guys and all the best.

Wendy
Get onto the Battery Hen Welfare Trust website and they have list of local co ordinators who will let you know when more are coming out.
I am sorry to say when my girls came home 31st October 2005 they really were quite badly pecked and look very oven ready. Three of their beaks are quite markedly cut the fourth has had it done but not so bad.
I am always amazed that people can live with themselves with this going on in sheds where they work. I also feel sure if most people realised what was happening to these little birds they wouldn't buy eggs from caged hens.
Yes my girls cost 50p [although we donated more] but it has been the best money we have ever spent. They are so funny and haven't stopped laying since we got them, bless them

Richard
Nice thread this !

By the way Matt, I have to confess when I started out with chickens, I brought the 'ex-batts' ignorant they were ex-batts. It's simply at 25p per bird, it seemed a bargain.

Then, when I realised what they were, it turned me onto 'the cause'.

Good for everyone. They may only be birds, but surely they have some rights in this World. They were here before we were !

Ash
Hiya all ,
Iv enjoyed reading this thread , im meeting up with some of the battery hen welfare trust on the 12th dec , to pick up some ex batts , really looking forward to it .

Wendy
Hi Again Kenny,
You have answered the question I asked on your other post. LOL
Not long for these little girls to have to wait, to come out from the hell they are living in at this time. Lets hope it passes quickly for them.
Well done.

Ash
And i answered your question on the other post lol ,
Yes i also hope time passes quickly for them , they are rescueing 1000 perhaps more if the farmer will allow them . Im glad were meeting up after they have got them from the farmer usure how i would cope seeing them all in them awful cages , iv only ever seen pics on the internet and that brought tears to my eyes , anyway if anyone is nr bristol contact me if your interested in giving some a home .thanks

Colin
I was due to collect 6 ex-battery girls on Saturday but, unfortunately, I'll have to wait a bit longer since the BHWT has decided to stop collections until the situation in Suffolk is resolved. Disappointing but understandable.

This will be my first batch of ex-battery hens and I intend to put them in with my existing flock of hybrids and pure breeds. However I'm a little concerned that the diseases, against which the battery hens will have been vaccinated, could end up being passed to my existing birds. Does anyone know if this really is a risk?

leshoopers
Learner Laner

Caring ex-battery hens

Post by leshoopers »

I would be grateful of advice on when I can incorporate my new x3 ex-battery hens into my existing free-range flock of 5 hens. I have only had them since Saturday but already they are full of enthusiasm about everything/ anything outside of their current enclosure. One - now named 'Houdini' has escaped three times!

The trouble is that my hens have been coming up to the fence and a fight through the mesh has broken out on several occasions. The new hens have no fear - despite their sorry state and their being half the size of my free-range hens! Such fights are inevitable but my feeling is that keeping them separate is exacerbating matters. The new hens also need a lot of education and my free-rangers can do it.

Please let me know your thoughts/ suggestions based upon experience, etc.

many thanks
leshoopers
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Les,
Welcome to the forum. You live near me I am in Bushey, also Dave on the forum is in Herts somewhere.
Yes, they may look fragile, but these little hens really have a great deal of street cred. They have had to endure pecking and fighting all their lives, cooped up in that tiny little cage.
I would think a week or so seperated will probably do the trick, but please put them to bed together each night. So they get used to each other. But yes, there is going to be some jostling for position....pecking order I am afraid.
I don't think your little ex battery's need any educating. I have only had ex battery girls, and they immediately know what to do. How to scratch around and how to dust bathe etc. etc.
Keep us posted.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
leshoopers
Learner Laner

Ex-battery hens

Post by leshoopers »

Hi Wendy
thanks for your advice - I had not thought about putting them in together at night. I could try that tonight and let them all stay together in the morning - closely monitoring? What do you think?

I can see that my new girls know how to fight. Trouble is they are beginning to squable amongst themselves - partly as they seem to want to get out of their pen - another reason for my wanting to let them out.

regards Carole (leshoopers)
leshoopers
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

hi les
the new girls will fight amongst themselves for a bit to find the pecking order amongst themselves and then again when they meet the older ladies!

its a case of trial and error, some people have had really good experiences and othes not so good, so just give it a go!

will be hard work to begin with (like a ref in the corner of a boxing ring) but will be worth it in the end when they all get on with each other!

keep us posted on how it goes and what you find works best for you!!

good luck

kat x
wendy

Post by wendy »

HI Les,
Seperate in the day for a week or two, but together of a night.
Wendy

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Isn't nature absolutely amazing. They're born, spend one year in a cage, get out and know exactly what to do!!

Try doing that with a one year old child!

Small brains maybe, but they have one heck of one. All the more reason to ban this terrible farming method and let them have a life.

They have a right to one.

Good on you Les, you are giving them life - period.

Richard

and welcome BTW!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
leshoopers
Learner Laner

Ex-battery hens

Post by leshoopers »

I am planning to put the new ex-battery hens in with our older free-range established flock tonight. I can imagine it being OK over night but will there be a risk of their fighting in the morning? We would not normally let the girls out until 6:30am.

What would those of you with experience of this kind of thing recommend? Thank you to everyone who has already given me advice.

Carole (leshoopers)
leshoopers
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Ex-Battery Hen Keeper

Post by AnnaB »

Hi leshoopers
I got another 5 girls 4 weeks ago and needed to put them in with last years girl (partner deceased)
The coordinator said to spray them all with 50/50 vinegar and water (lightly) before putting them in the coop together.
OH wouldn't hear of that mix and I used 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 water.
I did this for 3 nights and they were all there every morning!
What I did find was that the older girl wouldn't let the new ones perch. At the end of last week 4 of the new girls are perching with her, 1 deciding the nest box was a better option.
I also found that the old one even when separated would go for them as soon as she was let in - being as there were 5 to chase it gave them all a bit of peace.
I also have 2 feeding bowls and 3 water bowls so that no-one goes without.
Very best wishes with them.
leshoopers
Learner Laner

Ex-battery hens

Post by leshoopers »

Our new chickens are settling in well although their condition at first was lamentable. We arrived at the pick up point (a volunteer's house for BHWT, Norfolk) and found over 200 mostly bald and rather smelly/ dirty hens in their back garden. Our three have no feathers on their necks and chest. Their claws
are over long despite being clipped and one hen has been de-beaked. Their combs were floppy and white instead of standing proud and red. They are skinny and under-sized.

Since arriving they have been in a separate hut and run. They don't know about going in when it gets dark. They don't recognise food like odd bits of lettuce/ bread/ scraps etc. They drop their eggs 'en passant' rather than going somewhere private to do it. Very unlike our free-rangers who herald their achievement to the world (free-range hens are such drama queens!)

On the plus side they are full of enthusiasm about their new surroundings and seem to know no fear (an innocent state that will not last long unfortunately). One - now named 'Houdini' has escaped several times. Last night when we went up to put the new ex-battery hens inside we could not find her and looked everywhere....only to find her perching on top of a post
looking at us as if we were potty.

I worry that incorporating them into our flock is going to take some while. Our most tame hen is very put out by their arrival. We allowed the two flocks to mix briefly yesterday and she immediately pounced upon them and beat them up with a rage that shocked us (and them). I know chickens are mean but I had not realised how jealous (anthropomorphism?) they can be.

I can send photos to anyone who is interested.

Can anyone give me some guidance on whether its OK to overnight them together bearing in mind that its dawn before we let them out of the hen house (they get let out at around 6:30am? I can imagine them squabling before being let out. Thanks again
leshoopers
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Les,
They sound not too bad for ex battey's. Two of mine were oven ready and the other two were not good.
I am sure [and we keep saying it] they will eventually get on, it takes a little time.
I would sleep them together, especially if your house is dark once closed. It will get them used to each other.
They will learn what food is good to eat, I assume they are getting layers mash at present, and will devour everything. Life is difficult for both sets of girls at the moment but it will settle.
Wendy