hens needing homes on the 30th june, kent area

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Hi Emma, i got mine from her, and am on the list again for August. Keep ringing, she has no answer phone, i found its better to ring in the eve, more chance of her being inside, she has so many animals to look after she is outside daytimes.
She told me all the girls have homes for the july rescue )c(

Lou x
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."

stormingnorman
Lively Laner

Post by stormingnorman »

send her an email she will respond

Stormingnorman
i dont understand enough about computers
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Diana is a very special lady and a very nice one. I've been to her place a couple of times and phoned her as well.

She really does put 100% into her role and spends hours and hours on the welfare of Battery Hens.

I've tried to get her sometimes and the reason there's no answer is that she's usually outside tending to sick Chickens (she nurses the very poorly ones), so don't despair, she will answer you and when she does, she's good for a nice chat as well !

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
nessjw
Lively Laner

Post by nessjw »

wendy wrote:Just a question Nessjw.
Why does it matter so much ?
Or do you think they are selling the eggs as free range when they are really battery ? Not being confrontational here I am just curious.
They are out of whatever it was that got them in this state, thank God and you three.
Wendy
Hi, in no way do l think your being confrontational here, its like l said before, l feel l have been buying 'free range eggs' at a premium price, then on monday the state of the 'free range hens we got out, l realised l and many others could be conned, l would never have brought free range eggs from hens in this state, your curious, me too? lam chuffed that these hens have a new life, but lam also a bit concerned all isnt how it should be, that was all l was saying, those hens we got monday were still laying as free range, l for one wouldnt have touched an egg from them with a barge pole :-D , the likes of hugh would hopefully be able too shed light and help on this matter, its sad that being a celeb hightlights things that us 'normal' peeps cant do, :cry: thats why l feel l should see what he says, out of the 24 hens l got and the 6 my sis homed to her vets, all now are outside hens, that shows that they werent given freedom and shunned it, maybe lm wrong in my judgement of this farm, but l would like to check out the possibilty that maybe lam right, and if that helps the welfare of these girls, l cant see lam doing anything wrong?
wendy

Post by wendy »

Well let us know how you get on then. I can understand what you are saying. Fortunately before Chickens we didn't buy or eat eggs. Don't eat too many now LOL
Yes, it is annoying that the 'celebs' can get things moving when we have been knocking on the door for years.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
nessjw
Lively Laner

Post by nessjw »

thats why l have always apprieicated ur ways wendy,
and thanks for ur help, will go for the hugh experience, have a list for another 24 hens, battery or otherwise, if someone can help, as will not travel over an hour, as its quite distressing for that amount of birds
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi,

1. I only eat about two eggs a week !!!

2. No Forum Members here are 'normal peeps' and not getting attention.
There are literally hundreds getting here through Search Engines, they read what you and we are saying.

We are doing our bit - and very well!!

The word is spreading, it's just been sped up a bit by 'celebs'

)t' )t'

PS........

(I found this photograph, don't know where it came from)
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

Who put that there !!!
But well done anyway to them
Wendy

stormingnorman
Lively Laner

Post by stormingnorman »

Following comment here about the state of the birds Ness arranged and are they free range or what.
Just a thought.

When I was 16 and a butchers boy and had to truss chickens I was told that chickens were starved for three or four days prior to slaughter in order to make lt easier (cleaner) for trussing.

Richard remarked that he was surprised that the farmer was able to collect them up so quick and bring them out 4/5 at a time. I assume that if they were going off to slaughter it would be prudent for them to be herded together in the barn for ease when the lorry arrived to take them away. If these two thoughts are taken together I wonder if that would be sufficient time with them in a confined space for them to turn on each other with the results we saw.

I do not attempt to justify merely to ask the question.

Incidentally mine are settling well and seem perfectly happy

Stormingnorman
i dont understand enough about computers
wendy

Post by wendy »

Great they are doing well.
Yes they do starve for a number of days. for the reasons you said.
Wendy

lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

God, i didn't think about that, poor girls i know ex-batts normally are but imagine these poor girls have had a fairly normal ish life then to be herded together in a barn or whatever and starved for days...
Poor things :cry:
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

lou wrote:Hi Emma, i got mine from her, and am on the list again for August. Keep ringing, she has no answer phone, i found its better to ring in the eve, more chance of her being inside, she has so many animals to look after she is outside daytimes.
She told me all the girls have homes for the july rescue )c(

Lou x

I spoke to Diana and gave her my number. She noted down how many chooks I would like and said she would call. I'm actually getting a little desperate for re homing these girls now. Still not heard from her. :cry: I'll keep trying though.
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Do you know when the next rescue is coming and that your name is on the list.
A shame as you live fairly close, don't you. Well closer than Watford where I live LOL
The NLHR has one coming soon, but you may be a little late for that one. But can put your name down for the next www.northlondonhenrescue.org.uk
Wendy

Richard

Post by Richard »

The problem is that Farmers often change their minds, or, if still within the Government guidelines for age of slaughter, will, if they are still laying a good quota, keep them a few days or weeks longer.

Recently, the Kent ex-batts have been arriving in small quantities and Diana is really full time on answering calls etc.
She has it all under control, no one is getting forgotten, moved up or down the list. She wants to please evryone, but can't !

Originally I said I would have ten, but upon hearing so many others were waiting, I onlt took five, saying that when she had problems in the future finding homes, I'd have the remainder then.

It's a completely opposite situation to last year when they were begging people to rescue Hens. It's simply a case of supply and demand if you'll excuse the straight to the point talk.
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Hi Emma, How long ago did you phone her to put your name down on the list?
I ask because when i spoke to her she said that (either) the farmer pulled out or the farmer only let them have 50 instead of the 1200 promised. can't remember which one as both had happened and it don't take alot to confuse me lol! So i guess we are all working our way up her list.
Maybe we will both get hens from the same rescue next month. xx