Update on Welsh Girls

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Jo
Lively Laner

Update on Welsh Girls

Post by Jo »

Hi,

Day two and the welsh girls are much, much calmer - thank goodness :shock:

Believe it or not they are staying in the out house of my very understanding mother-in law. She has been an angel letting me keep them here, until I go back to Bedfordshire on Tuesday. They woke the whole house up this morning shouting 'we've laid some eggs'.. five altogether in-fact. :-D

They have eaten grapes, porridge and meal worms. I could have cried this morning when I watched them come out of the puppy cage and flap their wings for the first time. (f+

One took off a little bit and she was really shocked and crashed into the side of the cage. Tonight they have been having 'running and flapping' competitions down the alley. The most heart warming thing I have seen is one of them trying to make herself a nest picking bits of hay up and chucking it over her back.

I think even my parents-in law are becoming ex-battery fans, they have even switched to free range eggs. )c+

Thanks for all your kind words. It's so nice to have support and advice when I need it. )t'

manda

Post by manda »

Doesn't it make your heart glad? Good on you for giving these little ladies a chance at life and one that allows them to be chickens.

Good on you parents-in-law for helping out - maybe they will end up with some??!!....but if they don't changing to free range eggs is part of the drip drip drip that makes the difference to whether these battery farms continue to exist or not...no demand = no supply of that type required. If enough people did that then the likes of Pratcos would get the message.

Safe journey home. Sure there will probably be a few ruffled feathers initially but soon you won't be able to remember life BC (before Chickens).
wendy

Post by wendy »

Glad all is going well.
It is lovely to see them realise that wings give you assisted running.
Let us know how they are coming on.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Sounds like they are coming on in leaps and bounds literally!
Safe journey home to you and the girls.
Lou x
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."