18 free range eggs for £2-00

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
saint-spoon

18 free range eggs for £2-00

Post by saint-spoon »

sadsa are still selling 18 free range eggs for two quid, is the beginning of the consumer revolution? Are they finally getting the?
Bah Humbug

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

That's good - let's hope so.

Thanks for posting that ss.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

will out me out of business though!!! i sell 12 for £2.

No really that is good news, although people will still just reach for the nearest box. We can live in hope though

(on an off topic note though, my sister will not buy free range eggs as she doesnt like the colour of the yolks! I have tried to tell her that that is what they should be like, but she will not have it)
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
wendy

Post by wendy »

Good news.
I take it she will still be condeming hens to the battery then Spudley, as she obviously will not want yours. Thats what real hens eggs are like.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Spudley show her pictures/videos of a battery

I had debate yesterday with my sister in law and other family members at a party last night who although has stopped buying cheap eggs - gets them from me :-D doesn't think we will ever make a difference )de:
I told her with that attitude nothing will ever change and animals will always suffer for us.
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
wendy

Post by wendy »

I also have had a 'debate' with a friend, yesterday.
Not that they use caged eggs. No one ever does when you speak to them.
Heaven knows who does then?
Wendy

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well we must be making a difference.
You can now get free range eggs / cakes made with free range eggs / free range chicken etc. in the supermarkets.
They wouldn't stock them if there wasn't a demand.
wendy

Post by wendy »

You are so right Mo. The more bought, the more they will stock them.
Wendy

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I think it's the 'hidden eggs' which help this awful practice to continue. Although I usually make my own cakes, yesterday I went to treat my grandson to Mr Kips french fancies. It was only when i went to buy some scotch eggs and looked for free range (and amazingly found some in tesco) that I thought about the cakes. Looked at the ingredients and there it was - some sort of egg but not labelled free range. So, back on the shelf they went! Can you imagine how many eggs go to Mr Kip?

I am finding shopping and eating harder at the moment in a real effort not to buy any eggs not free range or any chicken not free range. My (used to be) favourite chicken dansak takeaway is not free range, although (bless them) with 2 days notice that can happen apparantly.But 2 DAYS notice!! Hardly a spontaneous curry! I did try to change to the veg one and it was ok. But only ok! Now I seem to have gone off chicken too......!!!

Think maybe just having a minor concience crisis here!!!! :oops:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

i agree Penn

its not easy to shop these days!!

I always have to stop and think!!(and thats not easy at my age) :oops:

stace (f+
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
wendy

Post by wendy »

The only way, is to cook yourself from ingredients up.
I have a 'thing' about processed food so I have always done it all myself. Helps cooking vegetarian dishes though.
It helps that we don't eat things like biscuits, crisps and the like.
We don't eat processed and neither do the animals.
Wendy

lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

If you do find yourself having to buy something eggy thats ready made, s'burys & co-op only use free range eggs in their own brand products )t'
Went to a family birthday party yesterday and my sister in law bought a quiche because she knows i like them (but only home made ones lol) i couldn't bring myself to eat it knowing it had god knows how many battery eggs in it.... she wasn't impressed!
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

My last post made it sound like I never cook anything - but I really do!!! It is rare for me to buy cakes and actually, rare to buy ANY processed food. Quite apart from the expense and nutritional issues I have with processed stuff, the real thing always tastes SO much better! Now I have moral issues too...... :shock:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

My dad was a filleter in his younger years, working in Grimsby. He used to bring home fresh fish on a regular basis. Sometimes we'd take some down to the local chipshop, and they'd fry it for us, with a small charge for the batter. But that was in the days when they cooked in lard and wrapped them in toxic print newspaper. I guess they can't do things like that these days due to health & safety. Shame, it would make free range takeaways easier. (f+
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

lou wrote:If you do find yourself having to buy something eggy thats ready made, s'burys & co-op only use free range eggs in their own brand products )t'

Is that true of all S own brand, I thought it was just the top range (is it called "taste the difference", or is that their rival's brand?).
Maybe it's changed.