country file

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
nettles
Lively Laner

Post by nettles »

A very late reply on this one! Been a bit busy nursing the chooks at end of this farce!

What was it? A show home? Looks like chooks had only just been put in there, specially cleaned for the cameras too!

When I get a bit more time will email them a couple of photo's of what the chooks really look like!

My latest ones are really not right, they were still too scared to come out of the shed this morning, The tiniest one just makes me want to cry, she is so bald and so small and so skinny- poor babies.. they will be alright, I will make sure of it.

I am so expletive angry, what is wrong with these people?
Everything comes to those who wait...

Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

If the figures for upgrading to the new 'enriched' system are correct, why don't farmers investing in this system just go free range? I also heard them using the term 'barn eggs', well I've always been led to believe the conditions of barn hens are also cramped and unsuitable. Does anyone have any knowledge of the barn system? Have I got it wrong? The whole battery farm thing was very misleading. People will see all those 'well kept' clean hens, and some will think that its ok, after all we keep hamsters in cages and they're ok... If we're the intelligent ones then we should be using our brains to make the world better for all living creatures. But some people(the ones who slipped through the evolutionary selection process) will always be baddies.
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

But some people(the ones who slipped through the evolutionary selection process) will always be baddies.

Unfortunately, I'm guessing that the baddies are the the ones furthest along the selection process. It's those with a concience who are evolutionarily delayed :?

Intensive farming is the 'characteristic' which has secured the population growth, in terms of evolution, it's a real winner :cry:

Effie
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

The barn eggs are from hens kept in barns, still unable to go outside and i would imagine still living in their own mess. they are apparantely provided with straw bales to perch on and windows...

In the co-op the other day i peeked at their chickens, the label said space to move in barns, however hock burns were clear as day. When reading that people must think well thats alright then, well if you think about it these broiler hens actually cant move because they are to overweight at 6 weeks old - sorry changing subject and having a rant !
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."