Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
PuraVida
Learner Laner

Would anyone help a newbie?

Post by PuraVida »

I'm so glad to have found this forum

We're going to get chickens. Three.

I'm busy learning everything I can

I see that most of you advise making your own coop and run. The thing is I have no diy skills, no tools, lots of children, no time and not much money

I think, at least to start with, we're going to buy a cheap, ready made coop and patch it up as necessary to keep our chooks warm and dry

I've been looking at this one http://www.feelgooduk.net/55-egg-house- ... -home.html

My concern is that I've read it's a very bad thing to have perches and nesting boxes at the same height

May be I'm a bit of a numpty but I honestly can't tell if this one has that problem

Perhaps if anyone could comment either negatively or positively on this one it might help focus my search and help me pick the best available for my budget
(which is v small)
Thanks in advance :-D

LisaB

Re: Would anyone help a newbie?

Post by LisaB »

Hello there )wav(

Ready made coops are normally fine for space, it's ready made runs that are the main problem.

I've not heard anything about nest boxes and perches being at the same height :?

Some cheap coops can be made from cheap wood though and break pretty quick and some can be a pain for cleaning out.

Wooden coops can also pretty easily get infected with red-mite over the warmer months (and sometimes in winter as we're finding out) and they are so so difficult to get rid of, that is why more people are opting for plastic coops now as there's less nooks and crannies for the critters to hide and they're easily washed. They're more pricey, but for most people in the long run it turns out cheaper, as they also don't rot etc. You can also use plastic storage sheds as plastic coops but they need a bit of DIY.

It's very important each chook has 10 square foot of outside space each, otherwise it can lead to bullying.

We're always here to help, and I hope you have lots of fun with your chooks :-D

EDIT; I also forgot to mention, chickens can get pretty pricey, like with any pet they may need veterinary help which may cost a fair amount. I know you've probably done your research, but a lot of people go into this thinking they'll make a profit on eggs but that's not really the case. )t'
PuraVida
Learner Laner

Post by PuraVida »

Thanks for your reply

Yes, I've been reading about the dreaded red mite and wooden v plastic coops

The platic ones I've seen are all v expensive, and if I'm totally honest a bit ugly too (although obviously the health and comfort of the chickens comes first)

If I were to get the one above I'd get the double run extension which is 1.8 meters

The chickens can have the run of the garden most of the time. It's about 80 feet long so list of room. Although there will be the odd day they have to be shut in
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Is this the run?
http://www.feelgooduk.net/127-chicken-c ... ouble.html

I worked this out as only 11.6 square feet, not enough for 2 chickens at all, so I'm afraid it wouldn't be any good, even if it was only for some of the time =(
Space is one of the main factors for chooks otherwise they really can turn nasty
PuraVida
Learner Laner

Post by PuraVida »

The search continues :)

Aren't eglu runs 2m long? Are they only intended for occassional use?
PuraVida
Learner Laner

Post by PuraVida »

Oh I see, eglus are only for two chooks
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Yeahh, each chook needs 10sqft/1sqm each.

Also, walk in runs are wonderful if it's at all possible, as bending down in small runs is a real pain, you can move them around the lawn but chickens will eat all the grass very very quickly so you will end up with patchy grass, so for me a stationary walk-in run with a wood chip flooring is best.
And if you have lots of kids having chickens FR in the garden may not be the best thing, as they poo, A LOT.
PuraVida
Learner Laner

Post by PuraVida »

Ha! So do the kids. Seriously though the garden is divided into 3 so kids and chickens can be separated

Right this one http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 0696361530 is cheap and flimsy no doubt but You can add run extensions
And the whole fRont opens up for Cleaning, which I like

Extensions : http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 0686024538. Sorry no idea if these links will work, I'm on my phone. But they're 95cm long so adding two should give just about enough room for 3 chickens
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Hi there )wav( Well done you for getting things sorted before the chooks arrive )app( .Really important to have as much space in the run as you can 'cos it will cut down on the arguements between your chooks.One of the main advantages of a walk in run is the ease of cleaning up the pooh.Are you planning on moving it around to give them fresh ground?or is it going to stay in one place?
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
PuraVida
Learner Laner

Post by PuraVida »

We've got a big concrete slab, it used to be a shed base. I thought the main run would be on there, with shavings or what have you so they're not on bare concrete. On fact can anyone recommend a good thing for this, bark chippings? A roll of turf from the garden centre now and then?

Then they can cone out and walk around during the day

Another q, if they're allowed out most days will they get really cross if occasionally they have to stay in their run?

And a last question for now, I've registered with the BWHT with a view to getting some rescue hens. Would you say it was a bad idea to start with rescue hens? Might we not have all the skills yet to help them get well and be happy?
Thank you
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Hi, Im a 1st time hen mum too and I have 3 ex batts. I have found them easy to look after but I think you have to take the chance that you have no problems. I have had a couple of days when one of them has been under the weather but nothing too serious >fi< . Its very worthwhile homing these lovely little girls. Whatever you decide, good luck with them.
LYN
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Welcome )t'

You really need to stick to the birds space requirements, it's got me all confused but as per Lisa on space needed..
PuraVida
Learner Laner

Post by PuraVida »

Thanks for the welcome :)

The run plus two extensions would be 3 m long by just over 1m wide. That'd be 1sqm fir each of three chickens wouldn't it? (embarrassingly bad at maths)

I'll be speaking to the rescue place tomorrow so hopefully they'll be able to advise ne if recuse hens would be ok with us
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Sorry Steve, did you mean I got you confused? +confused+

I don't let my girls FR but they have a big 6ft high 140sqft run, but I have read about chooks getting a bit frustrated when they don't get let out on time. But it is also a good idea to keep the chooks in the run until the afternoon so they can fill up on their layer pellets instead of greens and grubs as layers really are the best for them.

Bark chippings are a no no, bad for chooks, hard wood chippings are best )t'

Rescue birds are a wonderful idea, I got my first 3 in May (these were my first hens, sadly only have one from that rescue left, that's the thing with batty hens, sometimes they can go fairly quick) but now I have 9, they are wonderful little things and so friendly and coming on wonderful!
PuraVida
Learner Laner

Post by PuraVida »

Nono think it was my waffling about extensions that confused and your advice I needed to heed

Excellent help, thanks everyone. I'm so excited!
:-D