URGENT HELP RQD - neighbours trying to poison cockerel WILTS

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
little dog
Learner Laner

URGENT HELP RQD - neighbours trying to poison cockerel WILTS

Post by little dog »

)hlp> I rescued a cockerel and hen about 4 1/2 years ago - sadly about a month ago the hen died. My neighbours have never been too keen on the cockerel, but since the hen died he has crowed more and someone has been trying to poison him. Mashed up slug pellets with seed is the latest. I have contacted the police, and some action has been taken, but it is very hard as you can imagine! Before he is harmed, I would love to be able to find a loving home for him, preferably with other livestock so he is not lonely. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.

wendy

Post by wendy »

Welcome to the forum,
Sorry it is such a sad posting to start with.
There are some sad people around I am afraind.
Good luck with your quest to rehome your cockrel, it isn't easy I am afraid.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
juicylucy
Longlasting Laner

Post by juicylucy »

Good god there are some truly horrid folk out there..Can you keep him safe and penned in for his own safety for now? not ideal i know but i cant think of anything else.
I cant take him or i would but whereabouts in the country are you?
1 gorgeous boxer dog, 2 oap cats, 1 black star and 10 ex battery girls
http://www.henrehomers.net/
little dog
Learner Laner

Post by little dog »

juicylucy wrote:Good god there are some truly horrid folk out there..Can you keep him safe and penned in for his own safety for now? not ideal i know but i cant think of anything else.
I cant take him or i would but whereabouts in the country are you?

Sorry - I should have said, we live in Wilts - 20 mins from Swindon. He looks just like your pic! Is used to being handled, I carry him every morning/evening to his pen out back (he lives out front as local school children love him!).
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Hi i am in swindon

but would not be able to give him a home i am afraid

try this place

http://www.sdah.co.uk/
its worth a try

stace (f+
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
little dog
Learner Laner

Post by little dog »

Thanks everybody for your replies. I have scoured the internet and made lots and lots of phonecalls, most messages have been replied to now. Sadly, all to no avail. I have some local farmers to try today, but then I am at a complete loss as to what to do. I fear the worst - I can't have him destroyed, he is a perfectly healthy animal, but what can I do?? Please help if you have any ideas )hlp>
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi little dog

this might sound daft but im new to chicken keeping so you have to forgive me, could you get him a new mate to stop him crowing so much,that way the neighbors might calm down and leave him alone.

horrible people )de: )de:

jo x
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Hi littledog

Did you contact the SDAH in wooten bassett?

i hear he was at the rescue this weekend, i thought they took any animal there.

stace (f+
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
manda

Post by manda »

Do I take it he's crowing in the house before you let him out?

If so lowering the ceiling may help or raising the perch, as they tend to need to stretch to crow so if you lower the ceiling he won't be able to.
or
Any windows cover them up until you are able to open up so he doesn't know it's light.

Ummm hope that helps or it might make things easier till you find him a home
Manda
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
little dog
Learner Laner

Post by little dog »

:-D THANK YOU SO MUCH (f+ I just managed to conact SDAH and they are going to take him! I am just about to say goodbye and load him in the car!! I was SO DOWN this morning about it, but now I know he is going somewhere good. The people at Wootton Bassett are amazing!! )t' And thanks for this forum for keeping me on the case - yes, there are some pretty horrid people out there )de: , I hope they are happy now he's gone, but everyone's support on here has helped, so thanks.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

So glad its all sorted out for you

peace of mind knowing he is going to a good home!!!

stace (f+
Bev xx

Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I like a good ending, :-D I have just looked at SDAH web site, it looks a lovely place.
Ilona
)t'
little dog
Learner Laner

He's ok!

Post by little dog »

Hi. Just arrived home, and it is very quiet here. Lonely too - but at least the cockerel is happy!! Now I have to just sell my house - yes, it is that bad, I just do not want to live here anymore! A real shame how the few spoil it for the majority, but that's life. The SDAH is amazing - John is an amazing man and the hens from the weekend rescue are doing really well. There are a handful in a field/pen on their own, just taking a bit of time out, but the majority are in a lovely barn, and seem bright and cheerful. They had more feathers than I expected and were a lot healthier than even John thought they were going to be. I think as I drove out I saw my cockerel rubbing his little wings together in glee!!! As he was being chased round his new pen by 3 goats that is!! Thanks once again all for your encouragement!!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Phew, another little life saved.
Good news
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

So pleased there is a happy ending for your cockerel. Its such a shame about your neighbours, but having suffered with mine for years until I moved, I do know what its like.

Good luck with your house move - hopefully you will be able to forget about your horrible neighbours and start afresh.