community project in need of three egg laying chooks :)

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
imomoe
Learner Laner

community project in need of three egg laying chooks :)

Post by imomoe »

Mereside community link up and project are in need of three hens to give them eggs on a regular basis and to bring a bit of joy to the elderly customers that visit the cafe every Tuesday and wednesday, they will have a large back garden to scratch about in and someone to visit and care for them everyday! The downside is that the projects funds are limited so they won't be able to buy first hand so we will be wanting.hens that need rehoming. I have chicken coop and am now building a run myself as I used to keep chooks myself and have been given the duty to care for them and keep them clean and fed. Thank you, blackpool, marton link up xxx

LisaB

Re: community project in need of three egg laying chooks :)

Post by LisaB »

Aww that sounds like a great idea!
Have you thought about rehoming battery hens? There's always caged hens needing a home, and they usually ask for a donation of £2-5. They're wonderful chooks :-D
imomoe
Learner Laner

Post by imomoe »

I did investigate that but the lady I spoke to said that because battery hens a close to the end of their egg Laying life they wouldn't be idea for us as we would be expecting them to all lay eggs everyday but battery hens would rarely lay three a week
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Oh yess, that's true.
They lay really well first, usually every day, but start slowing down after a few months.
It's the same with most hens really. You're most likely looking for hybrids for good laying hens, but if you're looking to rehome some you might have a hard time finding young hens, and hens that are older than say 18 months will have also passed their laying prime, just like battery girls.
Have you had a look on preloved? I've seen a few on their looking for good homes for their girls, free of charge :)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

The cost of a point-of-lay hen is small, compared to the cost of housing and feeding them. Different breeders charges vary, but 1 hen might not be more than a 20kg bag of feed. You'll need to buy a bag of feed every month or so, but the hens should keep earning their way for a year or two. Money well spent.

How big are you making the run. When your present hens slow their laying what will you do. Keep feeding them because they are friends, or put them in the stewpot because you can't afford the feed. If you are going to keep them you may want to add a couple more after 18 months. So the run needs to be big enough for them too. On here we think 10sq ft / hen is a minimum, the bigger the better when it comes to introducing new without too much bullying.
The price of wood and wire is the scary part of the excersise (or do you have a cheap source).

Good luck with them.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
imomoe
Learner Laner

Post by imomoe »

Like I said its a project so we are going to see how it goes with three hens, and no, they won't be for the stew pot when there spent laying thats not What we want them for. Disabled and the elderly visit the community project and we are making the front garden into an allotment also. They will be treated well
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Don't forget that free range egg farms also get rid of their hens at 12-18 months old so maybe have a chat with one of your local ones. I am sure they would give you a few freebies if you have a sign of some sort stating where the hens came from.
s33xpt
Lively Laner

Post by s33xpt »

Sounds like a great idea :-D I have 4 ex battery hens and all 4 are laying and the minimum donation asked for was £2.50 per hen (unless you're like me and end up paying more than once {rofwl} )from Fresh Start for Hens
sharing my home with Kasa the Kelpie Dog, Trouble & Chaos the cats, 8 ex batts and an ever suffering animal suffocated OH
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

You can't guarantee 3 eggs a day even from point of lay warrens (Point-of-Lay)

All hens will have a molt and stop laying for a period.

Sounds like a lovely project, >gl<
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Littlegs
Learner Laner

Post by Littlegs »

Hi!

Sounds great!

Have you got your hens yet?

We have 2 that we are having to re-home due to us moving house {cry} {cry}

Maizy & Daizy are absolutley wonderful and lay an egg each day. They are just 1 yr old and are sooooo comical. We love them and would love them to bring the happiness to your customers as they have my family {hug}

Obviously you could have them foc as all we want if for them to be happy, content,safe and settled in a new home.

We are in Leeds and maybe we could bring them across to you....if i speak nicely to my hubby {rofwl}

If you are interested please let me know.

Regards,

Catherine
luckilotti
Lively Laner

Post by luckilotti »

Hi,
i am your local co-ordiantor for Fresh Start for Hens. I know someone has put you off ex-battery/commerical hens but i got 5 as my 1st hens last October and they laid 4 or 5 eggs a day all through winter until about June time this year (prob as they heard me complain that i had too many eggs and couldnt use them fast enough).
If you did want to go down the ex commerical hen route then Fresh Starts next rehoming is on the 20th October and collection is 3.4 miles from the Clifton Arms or i could deliver them for you at the end of the day.
The min donation is £2.50 per hen so if you are unable to find any others etc, please do consider some of these ladies (reservations have to be in before the rehoming date).
if i can be of any more help, please feel free to message me.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!
Blackpool/Preston Collection Point