campaign to free ex batts

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

campaign to free ex batts

Post by Meanqueen »

)t(

Just thought of an idea. There are quite a few lovely pictures coming out of recently rescued, and previously rescued ex batts. What if the people who have these hens sent the pictures to the newsdesk of their local newspaper, and asked them to do a feature about them? I think they would be pretty interested, they are always looking for local interest stories.

How about it, anyone up for the idea, it would keep the momentum up, every little helps.

Ilona
)t(

wendy

Post by wendy »

This is what a number of us have already done Ilona.

When doing an article you have to be very careful. By all means get one done on the angle that these are now pets, but very often they want you to go down the road of condeming the farmers, etc. etc. If you alienate the farmers, there won't be any hens to rescue they won't let them out. They hold all the cards.

It isn't the farmers fault, they are working within the law. They have a very small margin of profit once all the other middle men take their cut, be it free range or caged eggs. So you cannot blame them. It is the Government that are at fault for allowing this practice to continue.

We all need to support British farmers, be it meat or crops because once they go. We have no control over anything be it how our food is reared or GM crops etc.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Yes, I see where you're coming from Wendy. You have to be carefull with journalists, they have a habit of putting their own slant on things, a sensational story sells more copies. People need to be aware of every word they say, I have been caught out on a few occasions and have been horrified to see what has been printed about me. :oops:

I thought that if people saw where their cheap eggs came from it would make them think about paying a couple of bob more for free range.

Ilona
wendy

Post by wendy »

True people need to be aware where their food is coming from.
I am not saying don't do it. Just be very aware.
Wendy

bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

A lovely idea, Meanqueen, but I don't think journalists are renowned for being lovely caring people, just want to sell their newspapers.

I agree with Wendy, we must support British Farmers.

It's all down to supply and demand, it's the farmers who supply but its the mass British public who demand cheap eggs and unfortunately to do that means mass quantities of hens kept in battery cages.

I don't think that everyone is naive enough to think that their cheap eggs don't come from battery hens when the egg boxes tell them otherwise.

I am sorry to say it but a lot of people just don't care where their eggs come from - they don't want to pay a fortune for them.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
wendy

Post by wendy »

But the annoying thing is Bluebell, there isn't a great deal of difference in the prices.
Certainly not the price of a packet of cigarettes, or playing the lottery a couple of times a week.
I feel frustrated and also feel like shaking people and telling them. Look at these chickens, the eggs they produce cannot possibly be doing your children any good. Coming from such depleted hens. Let alone eating the actualy hens themselves in cheap pies, soups etc.etc. worse of all baby food.
Surely it is worth buying only 6 eggs instead of 12 to get better quality.
Why should our poor have to feel cr*p food to their children simply because they are poor. Improve animal welfare and then everyone can buy and the prices will come down.
Sorry Ilona )ot: see I went off into one LOL
Wendy
PS sorry also I am preaching to the converted I know.

Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

I guess it will come down to a shift in consumer awareness. I must admit, that as barbaric as some chicken and livestock rearing is, it is important to support our farmers, rather than buying from abroad. If we buy British produce, freerange preferably, and cut down the imports of cheaper, even worse looked after animal produce, we can work towards better animal welfare. I certainly wouldn't judge a battery farmer as a bad person. Those of us who can should vote by what we buy. And although it may be a little manipulative, let those of us who keep(or intend soon to keep) chickens, let our children and anyone else who will listen, see those hens when they arrive, to what they become. Where I currently get my eggs from(til I get my own), I get mobbed by 30 or so hens,mainly exbatts. Its great!!!! They are amazing, entertaining birds. )c( )c( )c(
wendy

Post by wendy »

Here, here CotH.
Please all be manipulative with your purses and also vote for those who will end this practice.
Wendy