Home for hens needed. Devon/Cornwall border

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Ellacat
Learner Laner

Home for hens needed. Devon/Cornwall border

Post by Ellacat »

Hello

I am a newbie so please forgive me if I make any forum faux pas!

I wondered if anyone would like to give our ladies a home? There are 8 adults and 3 chicks born at Easter this year. The adults are: 1 pale/buff brahma, 1 black brahma, 1 light sussex, 1 blue moran, 1 lohmann, 1 black bearded silkie, 1 black bantam silkie and 1 welsummer. The silkies tend to take it in turn being broody. The chicks are unsexed as yet (haven't been brave enough to look!) and despite carefully marking the hatching eggs they all hatched within the same couple of hours so until now we were unsure of their breeds. So we are pretty sure we have a cuckoo silkie and a welsummer and the third one may be a brahma, but it may not! The egg production has dropped a lately which seems to be connected with the bad weather as when we have sunshine we get more eggs. The eggs are lovely and make even my baking taste good!

At present we are allowed to free range them in the field next to us so are used to lots of space.

I should let you know that we have had red mite earlier this year which has been under control for a while now but I just thought that you should be aware. Mind you, from what I am hearing a lot of people seem to be in the same red mite boat! We are near Tavistock, Devon and could deliver if needs be. Thank you for reading >ch<

LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Home for hens needed. Devon/Cornwall border

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Sorry you're having to re-home your hens. We're in Cornwall, but I wouldn't have space for that many I'm afraid - which is a shame, because it sounds like a nice little flock. I'll ask around for you though.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Ellacat
Learner Laner

Post by Ellacat »

Aw thank you - that is very kind of you. Yes, they are a nice little flock but time pressures have changed and the amount of foxes in the area seem to have increased and my nerves can't take much more! I just want to make sure they have a great life as they deserve. Thanks again. :-)
Ellacat
Learner Laner

Re: Home found! (for hens Devon/Cornwall border)

Post by Ellacat »

Just a quickie to say that we have found a home! :-D They are off to a smallholding about ten miles away where they will be clucking around various fields with four horses, a few cows, geese and ducks. The girls are used to cows (and have even been chased by a few skittish ones!) so will feel right at home.

Phew. I can stop worrying now but I still feel guilty! {cry}

Thanks for your help.

Ellacat
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Excellent news :-D
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
elaine1
Learner Laner

Post by elaine1 »

hello

i could take 2 laying hens off you to start, i live in bude and my email is E-mail address deleted
please get in touch if you can

Elaine PM'd with explanation
Dom