Looking for a new home for our Sussex Ranger

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Looking for a new home for our Sussex Ranger

Post by Mercedes »

I'm looking to rehome our Sussex Ranger, Florence, as she is a bit of a feather plucker :?

We are in Watford, Herts.
Lyn

Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: Looking for a new home for our Sussex Ranger

Post by Grannyof4 »

Do you mean she plucks her own or other chickens?
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

She plucks from others but is selective who from. We moved her from the Cube as she was plucking from our White Leghorn but not from the others. We had already moved our ex batts to the Eglu as we knew one of them was a plucker and until we lost our ex batt Coco a little while ago we weren't sure who was plucking Lola, our remaining ex batt. Would seem it was Florence as Lola is still being plucked. I am sure Lola would be fine to go back in with the other girls and we could then use the Eglu for our broody girl Summer, if that makes sense.
Lyn

Post by Grannyof4 »

Could you not just keep her separate rather than passing her on to someone else who may still have the problem and she could end up going from home to home. I wouldn't risk her with my layers and unfortunately my little house is still home for an elderly ex-bat and feel she is too old to risk putting another in with her.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I've already got 3 lots of separate runs and 2 houses and it's doing my head in. We started off with all our girls in the Cube and we kept the Eglu for intros and for any sick or broody hens. However we ended up moving our then 3 ex batts in there when one of them started to pluck the feathers out of our pure breeds. As soon as we realised Florence was also doing that we put her in with the ex batts and it was all okay. Now we just have Florence and Lola in the Eglu and I'd really like to put Lola back in with the others as they were before and instead of making a makeshift third run for our broody I could put her in the Eglu on her own and not have to keep lifting her out of the Cube all day long :?
Lyn

Post by Mercedes »

Bumping this up as I am now getting a bit desperate as Florence is now on her own since losing our last ex batt :?
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I wonder if she'd be OK to go back now. She may have gone down the pecking order.
If that doesn't work can you put the broody in with her?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Mo wrote:I wonder if she'd be OK to go back now. She may have gone down the pecking order.
If that doesn't work can you put the broody in with her?

I did wonder that too Mo. I have put her back in with the other 4. I also hoofed the Welsummer out of the nest and she immediately went over to Florence and stood on top of her. Guess we know who is top hen, if only I could keep her out of the nest to keep them all in order {warn}

I told OH if we are going to carry on keeping hens he needs to sort out the roof of the Walk-in-Run as I am fed up the water getting in and making a mush of the floor. Also need to make the run smaller as it's way too big for that amount of hens.
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I don't think a run can be too big for hens. Plenty of space helps to avoid bullying.

Do you mean it's too big to put a roof over all of it? Or would you like some of your garden back?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Mo wrote:I don't think a run can be too big for hens. Plenty of space helps to avoid bullying.

Do you mean it's too big to put a roof over all of it? Or would you like some of your garden back?

It's 24ft by 7ft plus has an extra run along the back of the garden that just has soil on it. I think OH would like some of the garden back, despite him being the one that decided how big the Walk-in-Run should be in the first place.
Lyn