Cream Legbar cockerel Chick - Surrey/Middlesex

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Smallholder
Lively Laner

Cream Legbar cockerel Chick - Surrey/Middlesex

Post by Smallholder »

Hi All,

Wondered if anyone may be looking for a young cockerel, to go with their hens? He's a blue egg laying gene cockerel - Breed is Cream Legbar.

We have a sweet cream legbar chick, who is looking for loving new home! He was hatched under a broody on the 27th July 2012 and so is still currently with his mum and siblings but sadly cannot stay.

Thought I would start asking just encase someone else has chicks and wants an un-releated cockerel to rear. Can also hold until old enough to leave mum without need of heat. It would be such a shame to have to dispatch him as he is such a sweet chick and comes from good stock. (Eggs were purchased from a breeder with super Cream Legbar stock and egg colour - blue/green)

Chick is located in Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 but i'm also willing to deliver locally for a good home and also could drop as far as Esher / Kingston as my parents live over that way. Also could be possibly collected from Heathrow as I work over that way...

P.s.
This is the breeders picture from who i purchased the eggs! Such beauties, gives an idea of the what the boys potential is, coming from the same line....

I will get a picture of the actual chick later, when I head down to clean them ;)
Best regards, Smallholder

Smallholder
Lively Laner

Re: Cream Legbar cockerel Chick - Surrey/Middlesex

Post by Smallholder »

No interest sadly... Such as shame but understandable due to the issues with neighbours with regards to cockerels these days. If only I had the space for more boys )ang

Anyone else had any luck re-homing boys... really don't want to cull if I can help it as they will make super handsome boys for the ladies in a few months time.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi Smallholder i hope you manage to rehome him, i was lucky someone i know took my boy my nieghbours loved him but unfortunatly we arnt allowed them. Good luck )t' Linda
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Smallholder
Lively Laner

Post by Smallholder »

Thanks Linda,

I probably should have culled them at hatching, that was the idea behind hatching an auto-sex breed but I just didn't have the heart to do it. Mum looked so proud of her efforts >ch<

Fingers crossed I will find someone that can take one boy... Crossed with hybrid hen there is a 50/50 chance of blue egg laying offspring I was told, so hoping somewhere their are a flock of ex battery rescue hens without a man in their lives or of course someone with Cream legbar hens in need of an unrelated cockerel. He's not fussy though and any long term home would be much appreciated apparently.

I have upped the effort to find him a home and placed adverts on various sites and classifieds in a last attempt push to spread the word.

Cheers for your encouragment >fi< ,

Smallholder
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I feel for your dilemma , I have 7 assorted chicks but have arrangements made with a friend to have the boys on her large smallholding. I too hatched legbars , had 5 eggs and got 4 chicks but not as certainas yourself about the boy/girl question - 1 off each I am certain off but the other 2 are a middle colour , neither light nor dark - is there another way of defining them , other than the colouring - I am assuming its the stripe/head collouring I should be going by ? Didn't choose them for the same reason as you but because I wanted a green egg layer to finish off my egg colour scheme +f+
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Smallholder
Lively Laner

Post by Smallholder »

Hi Annie,

Thanks for your reply... That's lucky having a contact to take your boys ;)

I love legbars and the Broody hen is a Legbar x White Star, so it made sense to give her Cream Legbar eggs :) Purchased 6 and ended up with 5 Chicks which I was supprised about considering the eggs were sent to me trough the post and it was her first time being broody. I say first time, but she wouldn't give up whatever I tried. In the end she had been broody for almost two months so decided giving her a chance was the only way to stop it.

Sexing Cream Legbars should be easy, Mine were quite obvious as 2 cockerels & 3 Hens...

Here are some images of both sexes, males should have a pale dot on the top of their head, and the females should just have the brown stripe.

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Thank you so much Smallholder, if you were a bit nearer you would get a big {hug} as only 1 of my 4 hatched legbars has a spot on its head - it was the 1st one hatched , is growing quickly and is the naughtiest of the lot BUT I WILL NOT GET ATTACHED (should type that 100 times)
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Smallholder
Lively Laner

Post by Smallholder »

No Problem Annie )t'
Smallholder
Lively Laner

Post by Smallholder »

My Cream Legbar boys, are still looking for a home :(

Can choose from two brothers... Both handsome lads, should grow in to fine breeding chaps!

Please shout if you can give one a home or know anywhere that may be able to take one or both.

Thanks,