Blind hen seeks sighted companion

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
buffyrm
Lively Laner

Blind hen seeks sighted companion

Post by buffyrm »

One of my young hens (about 1 year old) has gone blind, vet can see nothing wrong with her eyes so it seems to be in her brain. She has previously free ranged in the garden but will now have to live in a small run. She will need a companion to help her and keep her company. She is a small light sussex so looking for a bantam to medium sized hen.
Does anyone have or know of a hen looking for a home?
I'm on the Hampshire/Wiltshire/Berkshire border.
Thank you

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind hen seeks sighted companion

Post by Linda S »

Sorry i dont know of any but good luck with getting a friend for your girl it must be quite worrying for you. One of the members has a bind hen i think, im sure if she sees this she will have some good ideas. I cant do links but the chick is called Giblet . Good luck with your girl :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
luckilotti
Lively Laner

Re: Blind hen seeks sighted companion

Post by luckilotti »

hi,
i'm unable to help you from a rehoming point of view but i had an ex-batt who the vet confirmed was blind in both eyes, she initially lived with another that came from the same rehoming that had bumblefoot quite badly. They had what seems a tiny coop and run and lived happily. I often looked at them though and felt sorry for the healthy one. My other ladies have a much larger walk in run and i started to integrate them slowly, they lived in a dog cage in the daytime in the walk in run so they could get to know my others (4 or 5, cant quite recall if we had already lost 1 when i put them together). Anyway, the other hens didnt bother at all with the blind hen, she adapted really well. Fingers crossed >fi< you can find a fab home for your lady, my vet said def not to free range her but i was really happy that in the end, i managed to integrate her with the others so she had more than just the 1 friend, she still stayed close to her inital friend who did mix with the others. The 'friend' sadly passed away and it was about 4 weeks later we lost the blind one as i honestly think she just felt so so lost without her mate :-(
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!
Blackpool/Preston Collection Point