New coop and run ready at last

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

New coop and run ready at last

Post by Riders of Rohan »

Well after weeks of slow progress I now have a coop and run ready and waiting for some hens.
I live in Halifax approx 1000 ft high although the run is reasonably sheltered it can be wild windy weather so I need some hardy hens.
I am looking for about 5 and would like two types with different coloured eggs.
Does anyone have any Point-of-Lay hens available now or soon within reasonable distance?
Why Riders of Rohan? Used to work for a bus company called Yorkshire Rider, now own a Rohan clothing shop, sorry I'm no Tolkein!

jackian
Legendary Laner

Re: New coop and run ready at last

Post by jackian »

Welcome to the lane )t' Howxciting that you are finally taking the plunge .You won't regret it.
I can't help I'm afraid but I am sure someone will be along with places to reccomend in your area...Keep in touch and let us know the outcome with )piicy(
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Welcome to th old of chicken keeping.
Can't help with suppliers as I have ex batts, bantams and a couple of girls I took on when their owner passed away. I am sure someone will be along with advice soon.
[center][/center]Davina
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Welcome from me too )wav( Richard has compiled a list of breeders which can be found on the main Down the Lane website under chicken keeping. Hope this helps you find some lovely new chooks )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Welcome to the lane! :-D
(I love your user name {rofwl} )
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

LisaB wrote:Welcome to the lane! :-D
(I love your user name )

Me too. I had those books as 21st birthday present 48 yrs ago. (shhh don't work it out)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

Picked up 4 hens today from Gary at Cottagegarden hens in East Yorkshire, bit of a trek but well worth it. Really nice hens.
Dark when we got home so straight to bed!!! (for the hens that is).
Looking forward to seeing them in the morning in their new home in the daylight.

Gingernut Ranger, Pied Sussex, Bluebelle and Rhode Rock.
Why Riders of Rohan? Used to work for a bus company called Yorkshire Rider, now own a Rohan clothing shop, sorry I'm no Tolkein!
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

)c( Great news and we will all be looking forward to hearing about your girls and dont forget to )piicy( we love them here :-D Linda
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

That's great. Welcome to the wonderful world of chicken keeping )c( . There's loads of information on here and theres always someone around to chat to about your girls on the chicken keeping thread.
Looking forward to hearing more about your girls after their first night and maybe some pics )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

First day went well, sort of.
3 eggs
Surprised at the amount of poo. They have been saving it up for me or I need a bigger shovel.

Bedtime, everybody forgot where it was. First experience of chasing chickens in the dark.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

They do poo A LOT, especially in the morning!

To make it easier for you at bed time you could try using a torch and shining it in the coop, they should follow the night, but they'll take themselves to bed in no time )t'
Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

It can't be easy remembering where you spelt last night.
Strangely 3 must have remembered where the nest boxes where in order to lay 3 eggs.

see what tomorrow brings

Might try a few photos too.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Sounds like a fairly normal first day ! {rofwl} that's great they're all laying already, do you know how old they are? Looking forward to some photos :-D
Woody Allen