OFFERED; Loving Home for Hen

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
gella
Learner Laner

Re: OFFERED; Loving Home for Hen

Post by gella »

Hi Bev,

Yes, I checked their website when you gave me the link the other day and they definitely seem up to scratch, seems like a lovely place, but it doesn't seem like they deliver. I have tried to contact them via email and phone to see if their Poultry Centre is open on New Year's Day. Long shot, I know, but that's the only day I can get the OH to drive as he would need the whole day off as it's quite some way from us. (I don't drive in the UK, especially not with a baby in the car, you're on the wrong side of the road for goodness sake!) They haven't replied to my email and their phone is either on fax, or noone answers. I suppose they are low on staff this time of the year and just don't have time to answer the phone.

kelloggs
Learner Laner

Post by kelloggs »

Wish I was nearer, I have a beautiful splash brahma who really needs a new home, fit and healthy but holds her wings to high so although its fine at the moment...... when my cockerels start treading she suffers because of it...........so needs a home without cockerels. Have tried to keep her separated from the boys last year but shes not happy about it. She really needs a new home ................even though I hate to let her go
gella
Learner Laner

Post by gella »

Aaah bless, it sounds like your lady could do with a break. I'll PM you, Kelloggs, just in case we could work something out!
kelloggs
Learner Laner

Post by kelloggs »

Have pm'd you :-D
manda

Post by manda »

Failing that gella..because Valentine is getting on you could always go for a point of lay bird as they will be less likely to challenge her.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Hope you managed to sort something out one way or another Bella {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
gella
Learner Laner

Post by gella »

Yes Bev, it seems like Valentine will be getting a new big beautiful friend in a couple of weeks! So now we just have to concentrate on keeping her spirits high in the meantime. I'm thinking morning treat and afternoon treat and as many free hours in the garden as we can muster...brr.

Yes manda.. that is true. We always had the Point-of-Lay bird as a back up, but I must say that I'm really happy we can give a home to a hen that truly needs a new home, like kelloggs girl. Although obviously I'm terrified of the whole sorting-out-who's-on-top thing, especially since Brahmas are so big, but I'm sure (touch wood) once they settle down, they'll be a great pair.
kelloggs
Learner Laner

Post by kelloggs »

I'm sure she will fit in fine :-D
Don't be fooled by a brahmas size they are more docile than most breeds and usually they are the ones that are picked on...............I have a lot of brahmas here as I breed them in most colours and Al Kareema is in a garden where all the growers tend to move to as Sharjah my big splash boy loves to look after the young and cares for them in case of any low flying kestrels. They daren't fly down with him around and they are able to roam freely. So she meets lots of new birds and doesn't even look twice now.
The trouble makers here are my bantam silkies :? my brahmas have to keep out of their way, even the cockerels won't go near them...............
Hope Valentine can wait a couple of weeks, if I can organise something sooner will be in touch
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh that is good news, well done both of you :-D I do hope little Valentine won't be too lonely whilst awaiting her new friend {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
gella
Learner Laner

Post by gella »

Your Sharjah sounds very handy to have around indeed. Does he chase away the fox too? I've heard about.. is it geese(?), that are able to keep the fox away, but never cockerels. Those brahmas seem so good natured and your silkies sound like right little punks.

Does Al Kareema have any experience of being in a run at all? And will her feathered feet be OK after a scratch in my plant beds? Is she used to dustbathing in soil or sand? Gosh, didn't mean to inundate you with questions.. just so many popping up. Yes, hopefully Valentine will be OK with waiting. We'll certainly do our best to keep her entertained. At least it feels easier to pull out all the stops, as non feathered substitutes, now we know she'll soon have a companion. Yes, just give us a shout if there's a change in the plan - you know where to find me.
kelloggs
Learner Laner

Post by kelloggs »

Although we are surrounded by fields never seen a fox and would like it to stay that way..........stoats, kestrels and rats and at the minute the worse ones the harvest mice. Just because of the damage they are doing.....................

Al Kareema has never been kept in a run but I had a double ended kennel made for them in their garden with the run in the centre and in this weather they do spend a lot of time in there keeping dry :-D
You do have to keep an eye on their legs I put sudocrem on if its really wet, mine have thick wood chip down although in this weather thats qetting a little yuk but not had any big problems. She loves dustbathing but only had soil never tried her with sand...........

If you have anymore questions let me know
gella
Learner Laner

Post by gella »

Thanks for that advice. Our run is mostly on soil at the moment, although it's not very wet as it's roofed, but will get some wood chip to have at hand for when Al Kareema arrives so we can put it wherever it is needed (in the run or around the garden). We used to have wood chip in the run until we put a roof on it. Then we didn't see the point any longer as the chickens preferred the soil and it didn't become muddy any longer anyway. We're trying to have the extension of the run finished to before Al Kareema arrives so they'll have more space when they're getting used to each other. We chopped down a large elder bush today in order to be able to net above so at least we're one step closer now. Valentine is different in mood everyday. Some days she seems fine and then some days she seems very lonely, even though we try to keep her with us as much as we can... we're just not the same as another hen. Anything else you could think of regarding keeping brahmas in particular, let me know, as we wouldn't know about it.
hannah
Lively Laner

Post by hannah »

Hey Gella
Have sent you a PM, but let me know if you are still looking. It looks like I might have a lovely lady needing a home soon {cry}