rehoming a young cockerel

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
mshennypenny
Learner Laner

rehoming a young cockerel

Post by mshennypenny »

Following the purchase of 4 fertile eggs for a broody hen, the sole hatched egg has turned out to be an enchanting cockerel. Hamish alerted us to this fact by practicing his alarm call gently starting off sounding more like an owl with a sore throat asking the question - 'whooo who whooo?' for a few mornings. Now, having practiced and perfected his vocals and following the dreaded neighbour complaint about a 5.30am alarm call and a whole box of tissues later, I realise very sadly that I have to rehome him.

I can't ascertain what breed he is but he's very friendly and chatty and is a golden speckled edition with feathered feet. I've tried many animal rescue places and farms but the answer is negative so far. I dread just placing an advert as I am so frightened he will be culled or used for fighting.

Is there anyone out there who keeps hens and lives in the wilds who would give him a good free range sort of home? or who knows someone who could? I live in Kent and travel sometimes to Bath so anywhere in these areas may be possible. Thankyou.

lynniepinnie
Longlasting Laner

Re: rehoming a young cockerel

Post by lynniepinnie »

Oh dear how sad - unfortunately I already have a boy but perhaps you could put him in the hens needing rehoming section? Good luck with finding him a new home - they are so beautiful and I personally love the sound of cockerels. Big {hug} {hug} to you x
3 dogs Harvey, Dylan and Betsy, 3 cats Merlin, Molly Mog & Lilly, 6 hens Eleanor, Eva, Ellen, Elizabeth, Hannah & Hetty 1 cockerel Frodo 3 Ducks Sarah, Winnie & Mary RIP Enid :( RIP Emily :( RIP Olga :( RIP Rosie :( RIP Ellie, RIP Evil Edna, RIP Esther :(