New home needed for three hens

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
AGM123
Learner Laner

New home needed for three hens

Post by AGM123 »

Hi,

We have three hybrid hens which we would like to re-home.
They are around 9 months old and all good layers - still getting 2 to 3 eggs a day in January. All fit and healthy.

1 each Columbian Blacktail, Rhode Rock, Bluebell.

New to hen-keeping and we gave these chickens rather too much freedom in the garden with the obvious consequences. You might want to bear this in mind if you are in a similar urban environment and want to keep them in a small run.

Not completely given up on chicken keeping but would consider starting again with some ex-batts and a permanent enclosed run.

Located in Carnoustie, Angus DD7 6EX

Janette

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: New home needed for three hens

Post by Linda S »

Janette im sorry if i seem thick but are you rehoming the hens due to them freeranging or what I dont really understand this post to be honest. Why not make an enclosed run for these girls they will get used to it others have, done this, is there any chance you could section part of your garden of for them?. The thing is if you havnt room to give these girls the room they need which is recomende 10sq ft each, you wont have room for any others, no hen should be in a small run. I and many others on here have ex batts and they need the same space as any other hen and deservidly so they have been sqashed up long enough they need their freedom too. Sorry if I seem a bit offhand and no offence meant, please correct me if i misunderstand but to me your post is not cming over very well )t' Linda
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
AGM123
Learner Laner

Post by AGM123 »

Hi Linda,

My wife asked me to post on the forum for her. Sorry if the post did not come across very well. Did not mean to imply that ex-batts had any less right to a generous run. We would not consider building a run that gave them less that 10 sq ft each. Posted on this forum because we would only let them go to a good home. Currently we have a ready made coop and some neting for a run but they have been used to roaming the back garden which is surrounded by quite high walls. Will probably sort out a better arrangement so they can be confined to a section of the garden in the spring.

regards

Andy
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi Andy thanks for replying i read my post later and im sorry if i came across nasty to you it just came across a bit confused so thanks for clearing that up :-D From the sound of your garden you will prob be able to sort something out, there is a great thread called i think its Members Coops, sorry i dont know how to link you to it im a bit puter thick >dum< . Your girls will protest at first no doubt because they are experts at telling us the cant possiby manage with a lovely safe enclosed run and making us feel guilty!! You will be able to keep ex batts with your girls and believe me Andy you and your wife will love them. I really hope you can sort something out for all of you specially if you are enjoying your hens. Also wellcome to the forum please keep visiting we really are a friendly bunch and the help and support is brilliant and theres lots of other things apart from chickens. Take care and hope to see you on here again :-D Linda
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi Andy

A warm welcome to the lane )wav(

Many of us here have had their gardens decimated by our chooks. Mine are now confined to their run (a fenced off corner of the garden), they did protest at first but got used to it within a few days.

Here is the link to members coops, it should help to give you a few ideas )t'
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

hi im in south yorkshire dont know if you come down this way but i can happily rehome the girls )t' i have an enclosed Walk-in-Run and extension plans for the spring they would just need to bring their living quarters with them )t' )t'
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx