home for a chicken in West Wales

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Georgina
Lively Laner

home for a chicken in West Wales

Post by Georgina »

Poor little Chicky has been on her own since the last of her "sisters" died just before Christmas. I have put my name down for the next batch of ex-working hens but that is not likely to happen for a couple of months. After the fights last time I introduced new chickens I have been in 2 minds about getting her company (she follows me and the dogs round the garden) but with this weather I now feel I really should get her someone to cuddle up with at night (and much as she would like to she is NOT coming into the house!!! Though she is pretty close to mastering the dog flap).

If anyone in mid Wales has a chicken or two to rehome please let me know - not bothered about eggs (Chicky had not laid anything for about 4 months, then just after her companion died she had a week of laying, then nothing until yesterday when there was an egg) - just a bit of company and warmth for her. I do not really want to get a cockerel as she is getting on a bit to start having a s.ex life (ex batt - been with me a couple of years) plus we are in a residential area so noise could be an issue.

Willow
Legendary Laner

Re: home for a chicken in West Wales

Post by Willow »

Sorry, I cant help you but I'm keeping everything crossed for you and your little lady Georgina )t'
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Georgina
Lively Laner

Post by Georgina »

thank you

I have blocked off the other 2 nest boxes so there is just the one for her, plenty of wood shavings to snuggle in (and I have put wood shavings on the dirt tray on the floor to give a bit of insulation there). There is a cover over the coop with an old mat folded up under it over the nest box.... I know it does not help but the door has always been left open for the girls to come in and out as they want - so do not want to start closing it now, but have turned the coop round so it is in a corner of the main run so no winds getting into it)
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

>gl< she finds a little sister check the rehoming organisations that wendy has provided links for>gl< you never know you might be lucky to find a rehome near you
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Georgina
Lively Laner

Post by Georgina »

Thank you - I have got my name down for some but that will not be for a couple of months - and so far I have not found any within a decent distance before then. There are a few poultry breeders locally so I may try ringing them for any "overlooked" hens or maybe put a card in the local farmer co-operative asking for any...... may be lucky with that as not worried about the egg side of things just a companion hen!
julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

Good Luck!
Julie x
Georgina
Lively Laner

Post by Georgina »

:-D Sorted!!!

Ad in the free trader for 2yr old hens to be rehomed, just rung and the man said his lane is bad, then as we chatted it turned out he is coming to Tesco for his shopping on Wednesday morning so I have a hot date in the carpark there and should be coming back with some friends for Chicky! Have said only 2 as may be less likely to have fights with smaller numbers.

Now have to try and find a carrier for them as I have loaned out my crate!
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I'm really pleased for you but do be prepared for the need to sepperate them for a while.. You may be very very lucky (and I hope you are) , but I think having some mesh ready to divide the pen may be wise )t'
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Georgina
Lively Laner

Post by Georgina »

Last time I ended up with a water spray and squirting the ringleader each time she went to attack! It proved you can train a chicken because if she would look to see if I was around and if she could not see me she would attack and if she did see me she pretended to just be watching clouds!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Great news Georgina )t'

I've just done some introductions too and found the water spray a very good tool for deterring nasty chooks!
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

Great news!
Julie x
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Georgina wrote:Last time I ended up with a water spray and squirting the ringleader each time she went to attack! It proved you can train a chicken because if she would look to see if I was around and if she could not see me she would attack and if she did see me she pretended to just be watching clouds!

They do learn, they're not daft by any means, but using a water spray is realy only a last resort if they're getting too nasty. (& not ideal in freezing weather)
The pecking order needs to be sorted - its the way of chickens & you cant be there all the time watching with a squeezy bottle can you?
Sepperating them with mesh lets them get the worst & most agressive of the posturing and 'who are you get out of here' etc out of the way before they make contact..

Albert Einstein
Georgina
Lively Laner

Post by Georgina »

I think 4 attacking 1 counts as nasty!!!!

After the first couple of squirts the sight of the spray bottle is enough of a deterrent, and no I do not intend to soak the chickens, especially in this weather!

They have the run of the garden so plenty of room for them to get away from each other until settled and night time arrangements will be supervised and revised if necessary if there is still any silliness.
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

)c( )c( have a great time with your new girls and chicky has new sisters to keep her company and dont forget to )piicy( )app(
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Georgina
Lively Laner

Post by Georgina »

The new girls have arrived..... not too much bickering and not the "my ancestors used to be fighting cockerels" which happened last time, mainly Chicky being territorial and picking on the bigger of the two. Have left the run gate wide open rather than latched so that the new ones can get used to coming in and out (floor already filthy from dogs going in there and getting damp chipped bark on their paws). Will get some pics later and put them on the diary thread.