New home needed for chickens in Shropshire

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Gandalf
Learner Laner

New home needed for chickens in Shropshire

Post by Gandalf »

Hi all,
I am just putting out a few words to see if anyone has room for 6 chickens, or knows someone who may be able to take them.
I have 3 Warrens and 3 Black Rocks which I bought at 16 weeks old in September 2011.
I have personal reasons for not being able to continue looking after my ladies.
The hens are all been perfectly healthy and are still producing eggs at up to 5-6 a day, though some days could be 2 or 3.
There are also two small coops and a run (6' x 6' and can be unbolted) and any feedstuffs that I will have left if anyone wants those as well. Not desperate to move these as they can always be skipped.
I hope that someone can help or point me in the right direction as I don’t want to have them put down.
You can post back here or email me if you prefer.
Thanks a lot for reading.
Regards
Malcolm
A light, however small, will always be seen in the dark.

Willow
Legendary Laner

Re: New home needed for chickens in Shropshire

Post by Willow »

What a shame, I cant help you but hopefully someone will be able to.,,,

I'm sure you wont need to have them put down Malcolm.. If all else fails then look for petting zoos or city farms in your area, you're bound to have some animal sancutaries around ..
Good luck )t'
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Gandalf
Learner Laner

Post by Gandalf »

Thanks for the comments Willow, to be honest I'd never thought of petting zoos and the like. I shall have to look around.
Thanks again
Malcolm >dum<
maidamess
Learner Laner

Post by maidamess »

Where abouts in Shropshire are you? I live on the borders . Although I am looking for some more hens mine are ex commercial so have been debeaked and would be a bit worried about taking on some that were not in case of severe bullying but if you really get stuck ...get back to me.
It was only yesterday that I contacted a chicken farm just a short distance from me and said I would like some when they are next due for a slaughter run and that is in March.
Val
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Hi Maidamess - Well done you for offering to help {hug}

A lot of us on this forum have mixed flocks of Battery hens / other breeds.
I have never found that the de beaked chooks have been at a disadvantage.. As you probably know, introducing any breed to an existing flock can be quite an eye opener & should be done with care and patience.
Once they have they're muscle strength I some feathers back, our little Batties are more than a match for any bird! )t' :-D
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Gandalf
Learner Laner

Post by Gandalf »

Hi Val
I am actual in Telford so probably within easy driving distance from you. I could always bring them if you are interested but with only having a hatchback I wouldn't be able to deliver the coops or the run.
If you are really interested I could make arrangements to contact you another way.
Cheers
Malcolm
maidamess
Learner Laner

Post by maidamess »

Hi
Yes if you do not get a better offer ,although I will say here that due to all the snow melt and rain I think my chicken enclosure is probably better suited to ducks at the moment.
I also do not have a 'lid' for the run so if yours are good flyers they could prob escape. Mostly my ladies range free around a large area so spend little time in the run so hopefully after a couple of weeks yours could do the same.
I do have a fairly large car that i may be able to get the run if dismantled into (if that has a lid) but not with chicks too, well not six of them.
I actually live in Powys,maybe you would like to visit first to see what you think?
Anyway you can always private message me to discuss further
val
maidamess
Learner Laner

Post by maidamess »

BTW thanks Willow for putting my mind to rest about mixed flocks
val
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

)t' hi gandalf i have pmd you
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
bobsbabes
Lively Laner

Post by bobsbabes »

If they haven't found a home I have a friend that is interested she is in Shrewsbury ???
Treating Titchy the globe trotting chook to a trip to Disney :)
Gandalf
Learner Laner

Post by Gandalf »

Hi to everyone that commented on my post.
I would just like to say that my ladies have now been homed in beautiful surroundings by a very kind member of this forum.
I know that they will be well cared for and hopefully live a long and happy life in their new home.
Thanks to all of you that offered advice or just friendly words, it helped a lot.
Best wishes to you all
Malcolm
)t'
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Excellent, thanks for letting us know... )t' )t' )t'

Albert Einstein