5000 hens going for Slaughter in the Midlands on Wednesday..

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
RuthieG
Lively Laner

5000 hens going for Slaughter in the Midlands on Wednesday..

Post by RuthieG »

Can you take some hens? (Copied form a friend)

CALLING ALL CHICKEN LOVERS OUT THERE
Can anybody rescue some laying hens ??????
There's a farm out in Higham on the Hill Postcode CV13 (near Nuneaton) and they are getting rid of 5000 laying hens !!!!!!!!!!!!!
The farmers are commercial egg producers so they only keep the hens for 12 months and then they go to slaughter unless they can find them a happy home.
The farmer there is really nice and is more than happy for you to go and get 2 or 3 or as many as you want, he really doesn't want them to go for meat he'd rather them find a happy home - but you need to act quick as they are going for slaughter on Wednesday 22nd may !!!!!!!!!!!!!
he just wants £2 a bird
These bird will still continue laying for a couple of years so will more than pay for themselves
Please feel free to comment or message me for further info or call the farmer direct - John Terry 01455 213115
https://www.facebook.com/1500Kilometers my 1500 km journey to a more healthy me!

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: 5000 hens going for Slaughter in the Midlands on Wednesd

Post by Annie »

I read this on FB and found it terribly sad , really doesn't give anyone much chance to do anything , other than rescue the odd half dozen or so if they have the room. If only the farmers would flag up sooner that they were getting rid of stock I am sure so many more could be rescued.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Bren200
Lively Laner

Post by Bren200 »

Have you put this on other chicken forums ?
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

the main Irish national television station ran a report like this last year - people arrived from all over the country to collect them - every single hen was rescued!!!!!!!!!! )t'
RuthieG
Lively Laner

Post by RuthieG »

pepi wrote:the main Irish national television station ran a report like this last year - people arrived from all over the country to collect them - every single hen was rescued!!!!!!!!!! )t'

Love that!

No, i'm not on any other forums.... Feel free to share it far and wide though, lets find some homes for these girlies x
https://www.facebook.com/1500Kilometers my 1500 km journey to a more healthy me!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I'm pretty sure that farms near us must do this. I never hear about it, but their are rumours of a chap in the Old Town who has a milk run and also sells eggs. It seems that he restocks every year or so.

Is there a network, then, that I can check?
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I will post this on my forum.

I don't know if he is wise to put his phone number and address on there and I was tempted to delete it and get people to PM you. But if it is all over FB not a lot of point.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
anne1234
Lively Laner

Post by anne1234 »

i got 2 of my girls from a free range farm that sells his hens at 2 years old rather than kill them sorry cant help too far away from me
issy
Lively Laner

Post by issy »

So sad, i would gladly take 8 ladies but i am in dundee scotland so too far for me to go. If anyone knows of any nearer that need help please let me know. I have rescued from a place near edinburgh in the past but have lost the contact no. If anyone can pass on a contct to me i would be very greatful. thanks
Enthusiastic veg grower. Trying to be more frugal. Family:Much loved husband, son, 2 dogs, 1 cat and 8 ex batts soon to arrive.
RIP Dumpling,Boss,Plum, Pudding,Hoppy,Betty,Custard and Gerty our ex battys
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

issy wrote:So sad, i would gladly take 8 ladies but i am in dundee scotland so too far for me to go. If anyone knows of any nearer that need help please let me know. I have rescued from a place near edinburgh in the past but have lost the contact no. If anyone can pass on a contct to me i would be very greatful. thanks

I have pm'd you Issy
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Post by Wellington Boot »

It's a bit far from me, but if I'd known sooner, we could have arranged to take a few. So sad, I hope they all find nice homes. xxx
[center]Wellington Boot Garden Farm is now open for business.
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]
sjb1230153
Learner Laner

Post by sjb1230153 »

sorry i was too late, my girls were got by thefox at the weekend (whilst i was away, the people looking after them forgot to lock them down for the night)..does anyone know of any more girls looking for a good home)
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi,

There's always a rescue around the corner but unsure myself on dates.

Google 'Fresh Start for Hens' and 'Little Hen Rescue'.

Maybe others here know of a link for you

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
issy
Lively Laner

Post by issy »

Hi sjb
British Hen Welfare Trust Tel No.01884 860084
All you have to do is register over th phoen and they will let you know the date of the next rescue in your area. Hope this helps :-D
Enthusiastic veg grower. Trying to be more frugal. Family:Much loved husband, son, 2 dogs, 1 cat and 8 ex batts soon to arrive.
RIP Dumpling,Boss,Plum, Pudding,Hoppy,Betty,Custard and Gerty our ex battys