Very friendly Wyandotte cockerel free to good home

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
spap
Learner Laner

Very friendly Wyandotte cockerel free to good home

Post by spap »

I am new to chicken keeping so did my research and bought 2 Orpingtons and 2 Norfolk Greys at 9 weeks old. The Norfolk Greys kept attacking the silver lace Orpington, so returned them. Then a few weeks ago I realised the silver laced Orpington was in fact a Wyandotte. As I'd earlier spent 2 days hand-feeding her antibiotics, water and feed every 20 mins through a syringe, (£90 vet bill) and managing to save her against all the odds after she ate foxgloves, I'm very fond of her so decided to keep her anyway. She's now 18 weeks old & this morning she crowed! No wonder she strutted! I could return him to the breeder, but the breeder keeps large owls for the purpose of dispatching the older cockerels who aren't perfect for breeding, and this boy has a single comb instead of a rose comb. He feeds from your hand, is used to children, dogs, etc. and is a beautiful boy with a lovely character. I will travel from Norfolk to deliver him. Please contact me if you can help.

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Very friendly Wyandotte cockerel free to good home

Post by kitla »

Are you sure you cant keep him? Ask the neighbours, they may not mind
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
spap
Learner Laner

Re: Very friendly Wyandotte cockerel free to good home

Post by spap »

No, I can't keep him unfortunately. My garden is completely surrounded by neighbours who are already complaining about another neighbour's dogs barking, so I know being woken up by a cockerel crowing wouldn't be appreciated. I have a fairly small garden and just don't have room to put a separate coop in for him so he can be kept in the dark until later in the morning. Also he can already jump onto the 4ft 6" high coop and my garden only has 5ft fences around it. It's why I chose Orpingtons, they can't fly or jump very high.