Battery Farm nonsense

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Battery Farm nonsense

Post by Richard »

Hens are as happy in Battery Farms

Well, this one just about beats them all.

On the front page of the Sunday Telegraph (c) today (please accept it is not necessarily their view - they are just reporting it).

Click here to read article

You may have to register to read this - but it's worth it!

Richard

(please do not copy and paste anything - against copyright)
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome

Richard

Post by Richard »

and no swearing either please! sile}
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

so what they are saying is that battery hens are no worse off cos they are just as happy as a free range chook?

if this is what they are saying, and ive read it correctly, then isnt this because its all theyve ever known? they dont know how to be chickens so they are content with what they have cos they dont know what they are missing? its wrong!

they dont know what grass is or what a wrom tastes like! they dont know what wind is or what daylight is about!

these poor chooks think its 'normal' to be climbing over their dead friends and pecking the life out of each other, drawing blood and being bald.

what kind of a life is that.....when they have the chance to be free and be chickens!
sile} )gr: )de:
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

grrrrrrrrrrr
melons
Legendary Laner

mmm

Post by melons »

I've decided it's safer & cleaner if I leave this one well alone, I'm sure you can guess my reaction, the guy needs to be shot, simple as that!
Cheers
mel x
melons
Legendary Laner

done ma bit

Post by melons »

That made me soooo snotty, I've written to the Telegraph to get it all of my chest & with not "one" swear word in it!
Tell I'm back at work in the morning or hat?
Lot's of people on the Omlet web site have also written, i do love to write a snotty letter every now & then :-D
Cheers
mel x
wendy

Post by wendy »

What a load of B******s every living beings right, is to perform natural functions. That is the very essence of being the species they are. Birds flying is the major one, chickens, dust bathe, scratch around and generally act as a .....chicken. Every animal also needs some stress to be healthy !!!
I get the Telegraph. They WILL be getting a letter from me.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard

Post by Richard »

Yes, it needs letters.

To be fair to the Telegraph, they do quite a lot to promote back garden chickens in their Saturday and Sunday editions. (I read someone elses!)

I'm sure this is on the front page, because it's such an issue at present. So, good for them to draw it to attention. Other papers may just pass it by.

I trust this chap spent a good few hours in amongst the hens to appreciate their happiness at being there!

Maybe he and 4 others may like to experiment in a cage approx six feet square (proportionately), no toilet, no bed, having their food, anti-biotics and other super mega plus vitamins fed to them on a conveyor belt. Plus of course a good old hour or two of pulling each others hair out and climbing over the odd body or two.

Cor, don't you just envy it.
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Well, I had to have scraggy euthanaised on Saturday.

Obviously that must have been due to the terrible life I gave her for the past 18 months after she left the safe and wonderful world of battery cages.
Small steps lead to big changes
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well, you gave her a chance. So sorry she didn't make it.
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Thanks Mo
It's not a problem, she had fluid around her belly, and obviously succumbed to heart failure. She spent her last few hours safe and warm nestled on the settee before the deed.

It was just so ironic that you could read such a neanderthal viewpoint printed by a supposedly educated newspaper.

You know, even rapists and murderers get better treatment than animals in some situations - where is the justice in that.

sile} I will now go and do some work (climbing down from my soapbox)
Last edited by morph on 16 Jul 2007, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
Small steps lead to big changes
melons
Legendary Laner

got a reply

Post by melons »

I did get a reply saying they had received my e-mail, so I sent another one from my works e-mail just to irritate, well I thought It irritated me, so what the hell.

Sorry about your little chicken, I dread that day, but I did get 5 expecting to loose one, I've still got 5 so far :-D

I'm just about to give someone a ring about another hen house I've seen advertised, saying to my OH that I could sell it on e-bay & help pay for my other rediculous hen house purchase, now I'm thinking, well I could just have another 3/4 chickens, what is it with these birds, are they laced with some kind of narcotic to make them so addictive :oops:
Cheers
mel x
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Battery Farm nonsense

Post by AnnaB »

morph
Sorry to hear about scraggy - sounds the same as what my poor Floss had.
These girls are very addictive but, I now have 8 and I must contain myself!
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Richard wrote:
I trust this chap spent a good few hours in amongst the hens to appreciate their happiness at being there!
Maybe he and 4 others may like to experiment in a cage approx six feet square (proportionately), no toilet, no bed, having their food, anti-biotics and other super mega plus vitamins fed to them on a conveyor belt. Plus of course a good old hour or two of pulling each others hair out and climbing over the odd body or two.

Cor, don't you just envy it.

Mind you Richard, he wouldnt have the worry of being hit by a car or catching the common cold which would, according to him, be a fair swap for his freedom..
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein