Chasing ONE chicken......

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Joannie
Lively Laner

Chasing ONE chicken......

Post by Joannie »

Hi all. I'd like to get one more girl to even up the numbers in my little gang. Would prefer an ex-batt if possible. I know North London have some coming out in a couple of weeks but am I right in thinking you must take a minimum of three?
If anyone has a spare chicken in the North East Lincolnshire are or will let me have one from their consignment please will you let me know? Thanks!
Mum to Tansy, Alice & Tyler, G-Ma to Rowan Fox, Looker-afterer of the mutts - Lola & Buddy, the ned - Florence, Ex-batts Tatty & Trouble, Harry the Rescue Rat Snake and a long-suffering OH!

wendy

Post by wendy »

If you have other chickens, I don't think there will be a problem. But I will advise that it is very difficult, and painful on the hen and those watching, to introduce an only hen. She will get 100% of the bullying and henpecking. Better to get two, or put one in with her and then put them in together.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Joannie
Lively Laner

Post by Joannie »

Hi Wendy and thanks for that. I understand what you mean but if I get two I've still got the odd numbers thing going on. if I take three then I think we probably would be maxed out. I was thinking of partitioning the new one off with Audrey (she's the least thuggy of the three) until they'd teamed up.

Oh perhaps we should get another three......... aarrggh! Lol.

:-D
Mum to Tansy, Alice & Tyler, G-Ma to Rowan Fox, Looker-afterer of the mutts - Lola & Buddy, the ned - Florence, Ex-batts Tatty & Trouble, Harry the Rescue Rat Snake and a long-suffering OH!
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Hiya, im getting 2 from nlhr in a couple of weeks, i was down for 4 but after a few negotiations with my dear husband and getting a new coop i am only getting 2, they haven't said thats a problem as you state on the forms wether you already have any. I already have 2. Could you not just get 2 instead?
HTH x
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Joannie wrote: I understand what you mean but if I get two I've still got the odd numbers thing going on.

Hi Joannie :-D

Well done for getting some more, but what's wrong with odd numbers? confused> We have three girls at the moment who all get along fine. My hubby wanted to get 4 at first but I talked him into only getting three. Now I regret that decision but will hopefully get two more in the spring making five in total. :-D
Is it best to get them in even numbers? I've never heard that before but I'm still learning.... confused>

Lucy x
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Well i have 4 Girls!

They do hang around in pairs, so worrying about odd numbers do make sense i suppose! :?

Perhaps like when we were at school, and when there were 3 of us, 2 always went into a corner and whispered things about the other one! :oops:

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Ah but my three still tend to hang out in pairs so one then gets left out - so it may be best to have even numbers............ :-D :-D :-D
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Never really thought about the odd/even thing before but now you come to mention it....my 4 have paired off! Mind you I only had 2 to start with and got the other 2 later so perhaps I am not the best example.

Helen
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

exactly!! )t'

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
wendy

Post by wendy »

I did have 9 and they just hung around altogether. So no different now there is only 8
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
thehenhouse
Lively Laner

Post by thehenhouse »

Yeah 12 to 11 hasnt made a difference. Poor old twinkle is still bottom of the pecking order :?
Joannie
Lively Laner

Post by Joannie »

Morning all

I spent all evening wondering about the logistics of getting 1, 2 or 3 *rolls eyes smiley* I'm sorry to hear about those who've lost chooks. I guess we'll inevitably suffer the same fate as some point.

It's bedtimes really.... they do get on pretty well in the day (unless there's special food about). There are three nesting boxes in the coop and they only use one and a half. Whenever I've gone in at night there has always been two snuggled up in one box - with the other either on the perch or in another box on their own.....I thought it'd be nice to give them more options.

I think I have until the 9th to confirm. Thanks for your thoughts!
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi jo (f+ (f+ (f+

good luck :) :) :)

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
Joannie
Lively Laner

Post by Joannie »

Hi Jo :-D

I've still not made my mind up......

Jo
x
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

Another 3 sounds good to me (f+
Jackie xx