You and keeping Chickens didn't quite work out?

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

You and keeping Chickens didn't quite work out?

Post by Richard »

Members and Guests.

After much publicity about Battery Farming early in 2008, many people accross the Country have introduced Chickens to their Gardens.

It is only natural that for some people, things haven't quite worked out how you had hoped.
This could be because of other Pet's accepting them, allegies, time consumption being more than you expected, or you simply can't get to grips with it.

If if feel like this, it isn't a sin, it's sure to happen to some and I'm sure we all accept that on here.

If this is the case and you are looking for new homes for your Chickens, please either post on here, or pm me and I'll do my best to start the ball rolling.

You can also find my email address on every page of the Down the Lane Website.

You've probably summised that this Forum is filled to the brim with people who love Chickens and will do all they can to ensure these creatures live a happy and fulfilled life after their terrible 60 week existance.

Many thanks, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome

Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Excellent thread Richard!! )t' There is no shame at all in admitting defeat. Much more shame in knowing you've made a mistake or just cant cope and letting the ladies suffer regardless... We're here to help in any way we can..
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
nettles
Lively Laner

Post by nettles »

Hear hear, we will find homes or add to our own!

Just let us know,
xxx

If it doesn't work, just let us know.
We all have sisters that will keep them company.
Everything comes to those who wait...
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

Hopefully most people will think long and hard before going ahead and taking the plunge to have chickens. But in life things do not always go to plan, and quite often for various reasons the hens have to be rehomed. Its better to come on this board and try and find new homes for them, than carry on struggling, if thats how it is. I can usually squeeze a few more in at our farm if anyone finds they cannot cope - although I am fast needing more space for them
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

I think this time of year will sort the Men from the Boys!

Its hard going and if anyone new to chickens, and its been their first winter, they will soon understand thats its not easy!

Myself i have enjoyed sitting in the garden in the snow and frost like it is today, although thats not everyone's cup of tea!

As long as people know that chickens need alot more care in winter months than they do in summer, and if they survive the first winter and enjoy it then thats the big test!

Health wise is another consideration lots of ups and downs, and you just need to sort that as and when!

Roll on spring, thats when i get to spend lots more time with them!

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I adopted two chooks from a DTL member who could no longer keep them for health reasons )t' We would not have found each other without DTL :-D
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Exactly Kate

Its great when you have people like us around )t'

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
New to all this
Lively Laner

Re: You and keeping Chickens didn't quite work out?

Post by New to all this »

Got to admit there have been times when I have thought - why on earth did I agree to get some chickens. Normally its when it is chucking it down, freezing cold and I am trying to muck them out - normally with 2 children and their dad watching me through the window (yes it was their idea to get them). )de: )de: )de:
But when they are running round your legs looking at you toe nails to see if they can give them a quick nibble, or digging up my prize acer for a mud bath then I think Awww..... look at the little darlings! )t' )c(
chicken steve
Learner Laner

Post by chicken steve »

hi i run chicken sanctuary in cannock staffs for all unwanted birds /poultry ex batts we take all birds/poultry for rehoming own stock i advertise on most ewbsites please get in touch if you need birds rehomed envy}} )th( )w( )b( )olm( )c( )t' :-D
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi,

What happens when you can't find homes for them ? I assume you don't charge for it and run like other hen rescue organisations, as in a nominal £1.50 per hen to cover costs etc.?

Forgot from last time, do you have your website address please as people must have some idea of where they're going etc. Or at least post some pictures

Cheers, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
eyupchook
Learner Laner

Post by eyupchook »

We ALWAYS take back any hens that cannot be kept for ANY reason. The same goes for hens that people have received from elsewhere as we can always rehome them ourselves or keep them with our own flock.
We just want happy chooks!
Lyn and Mark
Lincs Little Hen Rescue-
based in Sutton Bridge, South Lincolnshire

http://www.lincslittlehens.co.uk
http://www.littlehenrescue.co.uk
bonstey
Learner Laner

Post by bonstey »

hi i got ex bats in february this year must admit harder than expected they are fin in he pn 12 x 6 very secure my husband made it fox proof well we think, but its letting them out to free range i like to let them out but have tsit wit them. also just lost my favourite she was the worst one when we collcted her, no feathers at all practically bald and looked ready for oven. built her up lovey beautiful she looked with lovely feathers, but she got sick last week, had some sort of infection had diarahea and didnt eat or drink tried to coax her with milk nd tea and corn, then took to vet who gave heer antibiotic yesteday, too late she died on my lap 4 hours later, it was such terrible experience for me is was distraught to watch her die and didnt think if could cope with keep in other 7 hens, but i love them, can anyone give some support. thanks
Dinchy
Legendary Laner

Post by Dinchy »

So sorry that you lost one of your girls Bontsey, but try not to be too downhearted. Remember that you gave her a taste of love and freedom that she would otherwise not have had. The poor things have been through so much in their lives, and often their bodies just arent strong enough to cope with illness. Be proud that you gave your girl the chance to live a proper chicken life, and that you are still giving that chance to the rest of them.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hello,
Welcome to the forum.
You may have read that I have just lost another one of mine. I am afraid those awful battery cages, take a terrible toll on these little hens. Some don't make it for very long. But every day they spend with you is a wonderful bonus to them. If you saw what they have endured, rather than just see photo's it really hits home what good, people like yourself do and are doing.
Please don't beat yourself up, I am afraid when we give out hearts to these little battered hens, they are going to be broken on more than one occassion.
If you cannot free range your girls, don't worry. Considering the small amount of room they have lived in I am sure they are fine. Many do not let their hens free range the garden, mine only come out one day a week.
We have all had the same fears as yourself, but eventually it settles down and we all get into a sort of routine.
Don't worry, you are not alone with these little brown hens.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
bonstey
Learner Laner

Post by bonstey »

Dinchy wrote:So sorry that you lost one of your girls Bontsey, but try not to be too downhearted. Remember that you gave her a taste of love and freedom that she would otherwise not have had. The poor things have been through so much in their lives, and often their bodies just arent strong enough to cope with illness. Be proud that you gave your girl the chance to live a proper chicken life, and that you are still giving that chance to the rest of them.
thankyou for your kind reply it has helped me a lot i felt so bad but its very difficult to see them ill. anyway thankyou and good luck with your own hens