TGBBO is back!

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
fabindia
Legendary Laner

TGBBO is back!

Post by fabindia »

The new series of the Great British Bake Off Started last night. Will be able to catch a couple of episodes before we leave UK again.

Love it or loathe it?

We are love it but I must admit I prefer the earlier episodes where there are a few disasters by the less talented, the sort of people I can relate to rather than those who go on to become stars.

All the family love Nadia, surely one of the most worth and humble contestants ever on TV. A real gem in the age of so many fake celebrities.
Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: TGBBO is back!

Post by albertajune »

I love it. Nadia is certainly the winner that stands out and has made appearances in other programs as well and become a bit of a celebrity. Not sure yet who will stand out in this series. Time will tell.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I am enjoying this series, good to see Briony from Bristol get star baker, sad about Dan. Ramal)spelt it right?_ is lovely bless hope he never bakes any disaster or he will sob his heart out. Can understand when they were filming in the heat they didnt have some sort of air conditioning I men they obviously have electricity in the tent >coc<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Poor Kim wanted to give her a big hug last night, what a lovely lady, bit confused Rahul stayed in I know he has been consistently good but everything he baked was awlful yesterday.Vegan look looked fun, not!
Come on girls I know you are watching the show, what did you think?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

wendy

Post by wendy »

This is the 1st time I have watched the program. I don't watch much TV.
I have really enjoyed it.
It was sad to see her crying, and as you say Rahul must have gone through on past glories. But Kim had done some pretty good stuff also.
But I suppose like all judging, it is one persons opinion and they tasted it.
Dunno who will win.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Rahul still in >coc< Are they worried he will burst into tears? Want Kim to win now

fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

sandy wrote:Want Kim to win now

Watched it last night here in Thailand. With you - think Kim-Joy would be a worthy winner )t'
Michael
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I really want Kim-Joy to win, I think she's a stand out baker, very creative & imaginative. And she seems a lovely person, as they all do to be honest. But I think Ruby will win, she's peaking just at the right time. I do think Rahoul should have been out by now, he's had 2 bad weeks. Once he's away from Indian cooking & flavours, he's out of his comfort zone bless him

We LOVE bake off!!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

So agree Karen. Rahul allegedly "cheated" last week and was allegedly seen still decorating his cake after time was up.!!
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

KarenE wrote:We LOVE bake off!!

Here too. All the family, here in Thailand and in UK are glued to it every week. Pity we don't get any really nice cakes a pastries out here though :?

I think my sister should apply to go on, she is an absolutely fantastic baker. I don't think she is one to cope with the pressure though as she is an absolute perfectionist.
Michael
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Final tonight you're time. We won't catch up until tomorrow evening so will have to avoid any news and media tomorrow :-D
Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Won't mention the winner in case you haven't seen it yet Michael.
Disappointed in this years bake off and what a silly final bake the contestants had to do. They obviously had to make as told as all were very similar and on the same type of board. Yes it had to be scenic but why not on a large cake instead of all the scrappy bits.
They should have been allowed to put their own interpretation on the way it was displayed. Kim who is a brilliant cake decorator would have really shone then.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

I agree, all the show stoppers looked a bit of a mess to be honest. Obviously we don't know what they tasted like and maybe that was the clincher :?
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Watched it now!

I must admit we loved it. It was any one's at the end. You have to admit Rahul was both lovable and entertaining.

My view is that programmes like Bake Off and Strictly Come Dancing are primarily entertainment programmes. As such, it is not always the greatest dancer or the greatest baker who is the biggest pull. Remember John Sergeant, the best entertainment value and loved by the public, but forced to pull because he didn't fit what the judges thought fitted their image of a dancer. If Strictly featured just the 'professionals', no one would watch it - after all it is a sort of spin of the original 'Come Dancing'.

Bake Off is the same, and I think the best episodes are early in the series when contestants don't always take it too seriously, and there is the odd disaster.

Pity BBC lost the franchise but well done to Channel 4 for keeping it going in much the same the same format.
Michael
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw I really wanted Kim to win but her showstopper did look a bit of a mess.
I really couldnt believe the pittas over an open fire, what was all that about?