Vicar living the simple life

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
saint-spoon

Re: Vicar living the simple life

Post by saint-spoon »

Good blog Richard.
Watching the programme tonight and find myself intrigued as to why he lives apart (sadly apparently) from his wife and family? Any ideas? Is it part of the experiment or is it more permanent?
I also wonder if he’d have as much luck begging for food if there wasn’t a camera crew tagging along.
Bah Humbug
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi,

Don't know the answer to the family situation and indeed, if someone see's a camera crew that more or less says it's safe.

I've just this minute finished watching the second one and although I have the same thoughts as yourself, I found it really interesting, especially his visits to other Communities of other religions.
I've done Retreats in a Benedictine Monastery and got an awful lot out of it as in humbleness, giving and respect etc. The peace gives you a big opportunity to examine yourself I think.

The programme's growing on me.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I watched the second one tonight, and loved it. About his family, did you notice when he set off on his journey, he kissed a lady goodbye on the cheek. Do you think she could be his wife? I wonder if his wife decided she couldn't live his simple life? Just a thought.
Ilona
Richard

Post by Richard »

I thought it may be the Housekeeper as he has Cats and Chickens for feeding, but you could well be right.

Helen will have to pop round and have a nose about, she lives very close to Firle !!

I couldn't help thinking, if that were me doing the trip, would I have got the same response - I think the answer would be No.
On SS's point about the camera, you could see the Waiter in the Indian restaurant peeping accross the whole time, but to be fair that is part of their Culture and good luck to them.

I also wondered what my reaction would be to someone knocking on my door and asking for somewhere to sleep for the night. Depends on face, age, appearance etc. I guess.

But all the same, very enjoyable and interesting viewing.

I must go to bed !

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I've just caught up with the second episode on iplayer, and wasn't at all convinced by the Franciscan Monk who seemed to be completely anti Peter's attempts at self sufficiency and bartering, which I had thought were great. Providing for your own needs seems a much better way to live your life than just relying on others, which seems more like just sponging to me.
The observation that people didn't want to help because they were afraid seemed pretty spot on, though.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Not totally convinced, if I`m brutally honest!
Something doesnt add up somehow. HHmmmm!!!
I did like the community who built there own houses in the woods, though.
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

I presume it's a spiritual thing rather than a lifestyle option. A demonstration of faith that God will provide, through the kindness of fellow men.

As an atheist, it's a difficult thing for me to understand. However I disagree that what Peter did was "just" sponging. It was clearly a more extreme experience than the first episode's self sufficiency, FAR more difficult. It would scare the wits out of me.

I had issues with the first programme, similar to those of earlier posters (ie to be able to choose that lifestyle requires the safety net of a house & garden etc - ie only a choice the privelidged can make!). And swapping a salaried career (vicar) for kitchen work is not self sufficiency whether the currency is money or food - it's downshifting. Does the principle of barter actually even work when one party is a profit-driven business like a pub? The clear winner is the business, whereas if Peter had been paid for the work he could have bought what he needed to eat and donated the rest to a worthy cause (like the good samaritan?)

Interesting programme, looking forward to the next installment..
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I'm similar to Stig and SS, in opinion I mean. He (pete) got some of his help 'cos he is a man of the cloth, well spoken etc etc.
I don't think a big issue seller would get the same response or a person living on the streets.
Jane in London
Lively Laner

Post by Jane in London »

I am really looking forward to the last episode this evening! I have to say I don't doubt for a minute that the guy is genuine and is really interested in how we could all move to a less materialistic outlook - which is all good.

But whatever way you look at is, he is very insulated. It was curious that when he set out on his travels in the last episode, he chose to wear his cassock. Possibly not the best choice of clothing if you are hoping to subdue the ego! I also still get the feeling that he is a very fragile personality, and actually at times this made the programme quite sad to watch for me - he seemed very raw.

I am enjoying seeing some of the people he meets, too. There are so many interesting people everywhere, with alll sorts of philosophies that are worth listening to even if you don't always go along with them - if only we can take the time to notice!

Jane
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

I think you're right about the fragility. Some of the scenes of him tucking into begged food, he looked like he'd been starving for days - all wild eyes & frantic!
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Saint Spoon, have you changed your avatar?

You look horribly like my boss (except you're smiling & enjoying a drink so obviously human!)

Gave me a bit of a fright just now since I'm meant to be busy with the figures!
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

He has some funny ideas but I don't think he's horrible :-D
Prolly applies to your Boss too.
Whose figure are you playing with? 8)
Richard

Post by Richard »

No one has posted about the final episode yet and I think I may know why - it seemed to drift into a bit of a non ending, for me anyway.

He gave up the project to pay his car insurance, but I can't see why he didn't give the wallet back again and continue with just that one blemish, but he went shopping and brought a CD !

It seemed the production team found it difficult to fill up the time for it. After he gave up, we were just presented with repeated theories etc.

I enjoyed the lady living in a big van though. If you're single, don't worry about space and a garden - why not !

However, it did show him that it is almost possible but the thought of continual polite begging was maybe not for this world.

Overall though, interesting series and one from which you could learn quite a few bits and bobs.

What I'd say is that it is almost possible if
1. You are a man of the Cloth
and
2. You have a BBC Camera Crew following you.

Richard
Brakersway
Lively Laner

Post by Brakersway »

Well said Richard.
If you try to fail and succeed.
What have you done?
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I wrote a piece about the series for my writing group. I won't bore you with the whole thing, but I think I came to similar conclusions as Richard and finished off with this:

During the episode he had met a woman who lived in a van, using money, but only for essentials, and decided that this would be the path he would take. He found it hard, however, and the urge to buy unnecessary items was as strong in him as ever, when he started going back into shops.
He had a family, who he lived apart from, and explained that his BBC fee would be paid directly to them. That he was essentially living as a single person, plus the fact that he had free housing in the vicarage, along with the church paying some of his utility bills made this an interesting experiment, but less achievable for an average family. There were lessons to be learned, however, and it was interesting to contemplate the materialistic streak that lies in most of us, and the way that “the system” has ensnared all of us.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker