Good places to buy your books

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
barboo
Lively Laner

Good places to buy your books

Post by barboo »

Hello folks,
It's hard enough just now to make ends meet and so if you can get a good bargian why not?
Buying books can become one of those items you tend to say "next" time due to the price involved But you can buy books in an other way and a lot lot cheaper,

The verious rescue shops ie animal rescue /red cross/cancer research shops etc etc
Now these sorts of shops have given by verious people used gardening books,
A lot of these boks are from people who've died or for some reason can't garden any more and the books are donated,
Now the previous owners bought these books and the older issues are as the norm very good and very well written due to the fact that years ago you had to have a string of letters after your name to even get a chance of writting such books and these books always have a good thick volume with plenty of info,

A lot of todays gardening books are about 1/2 thick and have an A4 page size of a picture of the likes of a cabbage, well if by now anyone going into gardening hasn't a clue what a cabbage looks like????? maybe another hobby would suit.

Another thing ref a lot of the modern gardening books is who's picture appears on the front !!!
Ive seen all kinds of pop stars pictures and i have to ask myself what do they really know about gardening that the fully qualified garden writers dont know and who do i want to pay my hard earned cash too ? to learn the skills of gardening.

Ive all kinds of garden related books some written by the gods of gardening long past this way and all bought from charity outlets and all at very good prices,
Most in first class condition.
So if you want a really good bargian in books? Keep an eye on your local charity shops
(the sales cash ends up for a good cause)
or by mail order try world of books "they do used cheaper books plus new books. >mmm< >veg1<
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Re: Good places to buy your books

Post by urbanchicks »

Join your local library.
Maggie
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

That's a very valid point Maggie.

Have to say I have probably 15 Gardening Books and never brought one brand new, all come from Charity Shops.

Plus of course, the Internet is a very valid source of free information.

I think the vast majority of Members are the same way inclined.

Plus I don't fancy Monty Dom :-D :-D

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Richard wrote:
Plus I don't fancy Monty, Dom :-D :-D

Richard )t'

I believe you Richard but why do you feel the need to tell me? :-D
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Percy Thrower for me, always wears a shirt and tie, probably used his pipe as a dibber as well.

Don't make Gardener's like him any more.

:-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
barboo
Lively Laner

Post by barboo »

Well just to reply to the "use the library reply,
Great if you have one in your area plenty have closed down and you'll be hard pushed to find any of the really older books by the likes Percy thrower ,

And this way of getting books wont help any of the verious rescue or red cross charities,
But most of all to be able to check info at any time is one of the pleasures of owning your own ref books.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

There's a great second-hand bookshop in Anwick, Northumberland, which I think is the greatest in the world; it's called Barter Books. It's in a converted old railway station and is huge. The old waiting room is now as cafe, with an open fire in the original fireplace, so you can find a book, get a pot of tea and a scone, and browse till you heart's content.

Check out their website, it's got an interesting little video about 'Keep Calm and Carry On'. http://www.barterbooks.co.uk.

Anwick Castle and gardens are worth a visit too.
Michael
barboo
Lively Laner

Post by barboo »

Hi Fabindia,
That sounds perfect, just the place to go "look, find the book your never thought you'd find and then the seating plus a cuppa, just the perfect setting and good business skills by the owners.

I dont care what people say you just cant beat the old ways of doing things,

We have an old wooden chair by the counter in our village post office for the older people to sit down and talk to the post mistress on the other side of the counter, No rush no hurry just repect and a good service had by all both giving and recieving it.