Woman's Hour Radio 4

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Woman's Hour Radio 4

Post by Richard »

When I'm working, as in doing decorating, oddjobs for someone, I always listen to Radio 4 all day - can't do with background music and silly chat, does my head in!!

I alway's enjoy Woman's Hour, lot's of very diverse subjects raised, really enjoy some of the interviews with fascinating people etc.

BUT, why's it called Woman's Hour?

Woman's Hour as I remember it from the 50's and 60's was for the old style housewife who stayed at home all day solely for family and making the husband happy situation going around with Apron and Duster at the ready.
You had Woman's Hour in the morning, then Watch with Mother in afternoon before she would prepare supper for husband and have his slippers ready for him to come home, pyjama's neatly folded and a clean freshly ironed shirt for the next day.
My goodness that was a sexist stage in our history !!!!

So, isn't this in some way's sexist the other way round. If we had a 'Man's Hour' someone would kick up a fuss I'm sure.

I'm assuming it's just 'it's always been called that so we're sticking to it'.

Whatever, I enjoy it !!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
barboo
Lively Laner

Re: Woman's Hour Radio 4

Post by barboo »

Well ask yourself this question,
Why change something thats worked well for all these years,

We did once have a program called "Letter from america" it was a very interesting program,
the series was a 15min weekly radio 4 program and the voice was that of alister cook,
He died in 2004 and the program died with him, (And muched missed)

Womans hour i feel should keep its format & title,

Like you i have the radio 4 on when im in my workshop and the interviews & topics are first rate,
I do think the tv have tried to do the same and called it loose women.

If you think about it the few good radio & tv programs for anyone who isn't into modern day music/killing / and programs that want to know the DNA of some goon under 25 with 6 kids and has never worked in their lifes!!!
Then lets keep the titles so at least we know we'e to tune into.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I'm not saying we should change it, more pointing out it's equally interesting for both genders, so why the woman tag!!

Some men may not switch on because they think it's flower arranging, knitting and presented by the WI :-D

Who else listens to it if they are able?

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
barboo
Lively Laner

Post by barboo »

Richard wrote:I'm not saying we should change it, more pointing out it's equally interesting for both genders, so why the woman tag!!

Some men may not switch on because they think it's flower arranging, knitting and presented by the WI :-D

Who else listens to it if they are able?

Richard )t'

Menopause why not womenopause,
Should men not hang the washing out?
Times "Richard" have changed and a lot for the better & some not so,
Some people can't see the wood for the trees,
I drive a car that was made 26 years ago, well ahead of its time then and now it was made by hand, took 6 days to beat the body into shape, made tobe rust free and an engine fit to pwer aircraft being used today,
It' sister car mascot is of a woman, it wouldn't be the same if it was a man flying on the radiator grill,
The titannic scene we're the woman is in the front of the ship and the winds blowing her hair, wouldn't have been the same if her male partner had done that scene.

Some things are made to last, "if in the mind or to give long service"
It just wouldn't be the same driving my car with the rear of a male mascot's rear in view.
Some things we're made to last and never be changed. womans hour is one such thing.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I can see what you mean Richard, apart from the few women only subjects
(menopause etc) - which they do talk about sometimes, there isn't much they can discuss any more that isn't equally relevant to men too. I suppose its a programme made and introduced by women, and if they changed it to "people's hour" it may
lose a lot of long term listeners (a lot of folk don't like change!)
Perhaps you should send the question to them, maybe they'll read it out!
ps
Interesting - if you look the programme up on wiki they did once introduce a
Man's Hour
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Richard wrote:Woman's Hour as I remember it from the 50's and 60's was for the old style housewife who stayed at home all day solely for family and making the husband happy situation going around with Apron and Duster at the ready.
You had Woman's Hour in the morning, then Watch with Mother in afternoon before she would prepare supper for husband and have his slippers ready for him to come home, pyjama's neatly folded and a clean freshly ironed shirt for the next day.
My goodness that was a sexist stage in our history !!!!

And when I started work for ICI women were on 90% (? can't remember %) of mens starting salary.
But the beginning of my married life, late 60s, was a good time. Women had a choice, but double incomes had not driven house prices so high that staying at home was not an option. (My MIL predicted it would)

I hated the term 'Housewife' (was rubbish at it) I was a 'mother' and enjoyed being at home, and having the dinner ready at 5.30, being thrifty with OHs hard earned cash*. Nothing wrong with different roles, though part time working on pro-rata pay would have been better.

I realised just how important women were as the 'slack in the system' when our local history evening class offered to help at a 'dig' at Beeston Castle and I found myself organising a rota to wash the finds. Although we were not employed there were lots of committements to fit round - elderly relatives, volunteering etc.

*Yes, I did regard it as 'his' in some ways, though we had a joint account and common money. When the children started school and I earned a nominal amount from Playgroup, as well as the pleasure of doing something outside the house it was nice to be able to buy resents with 'my' money.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard

Post by Richard »

That's really interesting Mo, thanks.

Richard )t'
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

The other one I really love listening to is Saturday Live on Radio 4 - I think it's fab, and I really love J P Devlin's style of interviewing people, think he really gets the best out of anyone he talks to.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I really should listen to it scrambled, always good teasers during the week. I don't work at the weekends and tend only to listen when doing so.

Interesting stuff on yesterday's Woman's Hour, highlight being an interview with Sir Roger Moore, Barbara Bach and the chap who played Jaws (sadly died on Thursday).
Love Moore's dry sense of humour. He said he had three acting abilities....
1. Raise left eye brow
2. Raise right eyebrow
3. Raise both at the same time.
Well he's made a good career out of that!!

Plus a lot about Children's TV and Radio.

Richard )t' )t'