Rubbish Christmas TV

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Rubbish Christmas TV

Post by albertajune »

How sorry I feel for anyone who relies on the TV for company, as lots of people do.
Looking at the TV guide I saw that it was nearly all repeats, some from years ago. Not only was there repeats but the repeats were repeated over the next couple of days.
Gone are the days when the children in hospital used to be visited on the morning and Christmas specials were made each year.
We are only two, so thank goodness for scrabble. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Re: Rubbish Christmas TV

Post by kate egg »

I enjoyed Call the Midwife, Downton Abbey, Miranda, Stella Christmas Special... we also watched National Lampoon Christmas Vacation and I would have watched White Christmas if I hadn't had a houseful of people to chat with. Oh and Last Tango in Halifax was back last night which was fab :D

We have all the cable channels except films and sport so loads to flick through but rarely find anything marvellous on them.....
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Totally agree with June about Christmas TV. One film must have been on at least half a dozen times over the past month. And the Carry on.... films have been back ad nauseum.

We did enjoy Call the Midwife and Downton, and I have been immersed in a book, so not left high and dry.
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

We bought a Law & Order box set earlier in the month ready for the repeat season Christmas has become. I also hoarded Pointless and Fifteen to One over a few weeks on my freeview recorder as breakfast viewing each day as I'm incredibly lazy and refuse to start work until 10am each day - so it's a good job I'm self employed {rofwl}

Frankly I doubt many people would have found an average of an hour each day they would consider must-see TV this year. As non-watchers of Downton, Dr Who and Midwife we were especially hindered.
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

The highlight of my year as a child was getting the Christmas Radio or TV Times and going through to mark off what you wanted to watch while you were off school. Even though there were only three channels there was always something new that hadn't already been on a million times as well as the old faithfulls like Wizard of Oz!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
By Halves
Lively Laner

Post by By Halves »

The only thing I've watched over Christmas was Dr Who and that was a bit of a let down as my son who usually enjoys it with me had retired to bed with the lurgy, as had DD2, and my OH had gone home to feed his cats by then and my Mum doesn't watch TV so it was just me on the sofa on my own!
~ Annie

Two little kids, one big one and two grandchildren
Spongebob the cat on steroids and Gus who doesn't like him; silly Kittles and sensible Rags
lovely bantam girl Phoebe
and retired working girls: Florence, Miss McCluck and Mrs Brown

RIP little Rainbow and beautiful Angel xxx
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have been staying in a house with a tele, three tele's in fact. I got the magazine to choose programmes, and found hardly anything at all. I like the old classic comedy's, but even Frank Spencer is not funny any more. And as for the Carry on's, gawd, I couldn't face them, even when there was nothing else.

The lottery winner stories were interesting. I caught a bit of Torvill and Dean, but I've seen that before, still good though. Like Victoria Wood, and the life of Julie Walters. Saw a bit of Cirque Du Soleil on Sky, fantastic. Enjoyed the final of Portrait Artist of the Year. Call the Midwife, great. The Boy in the Dress, by David Walliams really enjoyed that. Paul O Grady and the dogs of Battersea, I like. Will have to see Last Tango, on the catch up, was at home, no TV. Caught a bit of Michael Portillo and his railway journeys, I like his relaxed and informative style. Not much to take my fancy tonight. Mr Selfridge is coming back soon :-D hoooray for catch up. Tomorrow I'm back home, no tele, )t'
Ilona
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

It really is the norm that Christmas TV is all repeats and old films with occasional sweeteners. I wouldn't bother with extra tv packages as generally we don't have much time to watch TV, but I feel sorry for those who are trapped in a lonely life and maybe can't afford packages, especially as a lot of the films sem to be Christmas hype which just makes loneliness worse. It was a long time ago but I've been there and have relied heavily on TV.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Feel sorry for my nan. She's 97 so really doesn't get out much so relies on the tele for company, she can't really manage all the extra channels so there isn't all that much on that will interest her. Some days it's just sport, sport and more sport >dum< Did enjoy The Day That We Sang written by Victoria Wood, different and entertaining and caught up with Last Tango this morning, looks like it's going to be another good one!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Being away for christmas tv wasnt important. Saw two films, Jurassic Park when in the room to do my mums' hair and Chicken Run with subtitles on in the coffee shop in the Riviera Centre, I managed to make my coffee last for the entire film {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I recorded Chicken Run when I saw it was on, I've never seen it and haven't watched it yet.

Christmas telly was pretty dire this year. Thank god for the Muppet Christmas Carol =win=
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

You've never seen Chicken Run yike* It is brilliant! I think I remember some girls on The Henpal Diary referring to seeing it awhile ago! What I really missed this year were the Argosss Aliens, Bogdan dressed as a christmas tree(its just all Oleg these days) and the famous grouse strutting his stuff, dum dum dum etc
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/