Is there an Election ?

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Is there an Election ?

Post by Richard »

Seems there's been quite a bit of coverage just of late.

Richard :-D :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Is there an Election ?

Post by Mo »

Maybe I'll go and vote when I've had my coffee.

But which of the wide choice has any chance in this safe seat? ( safe meaning between 45% & 55% of the vote with the rest split)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Despite all the ridiculous pre election playground behaviour of all parties, I have voted. I try to remember how fortunate we are to be able to vote, so many have no voice.

Mind you, it would be much fairer if we had proportional representation )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Done my duty, took the dog, they wouldn't let him vote. :-D There was two people at the entrance, one blue one red, asking for my number. I asked why they wanted to know, because I usually show my card inside at the check in desk. They said it's so I won't get a phone call later on asking me if I need any help getting to the station. I have already had a phone call from the red side, but I refused to be drawn into any conversations, my politics are secret.

Ilona
wendy

Post by wendy »

I think so Richard, but you would never have known........much !!!

I have voted and given my number so no nuisance calls.
My vote is a right my Grandmother never had and I would not waste that right. She earned.
It is also between me and the voting booth what I put my cross next to.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I have voted and will be glad when it is all over. So fed up with the candidates rehearsed performances on TV, sitting in childrens playgroups, attempting to do various skilled jobs for the camera, etc etc etc...
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We voted as I said on DTL. No men wearing huge rosettes outside the polling booth, which is our village church. When we returned from my appointment in town, a blue man had left a message on the answerphone, hoping that we would vote for him!
Richard

Post by Richard »

I voted at lunchtime. Like many, a completely wasted vote under first past the post.

Never mind !!

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

}hairout{
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Personally I think the Country needed one party to win outright, whoever it was, rather than having a compromise Government.
First past the post works for me otherwise you risk always having an everchanging Government with the possibility of nothing getting done with politicians having to spend more time wheeling and dealing than they do running the country.
Look at Italy that has I believe had more Governments than there have been years, since the war.
Dom
PS A vote is never wasted, it could always be the one that tips the balance.
Ali Woks My World
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

My hubby is standing for our parish council and is at the count right now, I wonder if he will get voted in?

Like others I believe friendly forums and Facebook are NOT the place to air political views. I have even had to block updates from my sister as she has got more and more outspoken before, during and after the results came in and to be honest I find it a little upsetting the way she has criticised anyone who didn't share her views (which aren't the same as mine, I wonder if she realises or is bothered?)
Richard

Post by Richard »

I think there should only be two Parties

1. The Genghis Khan

2. Citizen Smith.

You know where you stand then

:-D :-D
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

I agree Kate egg - my FB is the same. Quite a few people slating those who do not vote as they do and being quite insulting and rude. Add to that a Scot who is vehemently SNP and has not yet got over the No result makes for unpleasant reading at times! Good luck to your hubby )t'
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

He has just text me to say he lost :? Never mind, he worked hard and did his best but not everyone gets elected.

I wonder why people say the things they do on FB they are supposed to be talking to their 'friends' surely they realise that a lot of their friends won't agree with their views and that would push a wedge into their friendship? It is unlikely they would say these things face to face.....
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Totally Scrambled wrote:Personally I think the Country needed one party to win outright, whoever it was, rather than having a compromise Government.

Well, obviously that's what the electorate wants. Chucked out a chance to change the system, and have given DC another chance to 'finish the job'. And punished the Liberals for doing what they've always said - co-operating to influence government.

But with differing sections of society a majority government may work for one and penalise the rest. Less than 37% voted for them - they get all, the rest nothing.

Back in the 60s & 70s the Tories were far to the Left of present day Labour. Both have moved to the right.

Again thinking back, with FPTP we had a rash of overenthusiastic Nationalisation. Followed by a rush to sell off things that IMO it would have made sense to keep public. And every change has its costs.
Coalitions mean that politicians have to think twice, not enforce every 'bright idea' just for the sake of being active, but doing what a majority will support.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire