UK based Countryside and Nature Programmes

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

UK based Countryside and Nature Programmes

Post by Richard »

I used to moan a lot about the fact that although I enjoy Documentaries about natural history in foreign exotic places, we always seemed to be falling short on our own UK programmes.

Three recent series about Barges, Walking Scotland, other features on Scotland and more UK nature hotspots, Coast, even Robson Green's coming in on it.

I enjoy the Train programmes as well, not just because of trains, so much history, scenery and information about local trades and so on.

Not forgetting Countryfile and Springwatch.

It appears the TV Companies have woken up to the fact of what diverse lands, creatures and birds we have.

Plus the most important thing is that, hopefully, it's educating people to 'get out there' and protect what we have.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Re: UK based Countryside and Nature Programmes

Post by saint-spoon »

I always thought that the BBC would do well to visit some of the MOD land to do a year round documentary. There is so much wildlife and being well secured it doesn’t suffered the problems that areas open to the general public suffer, litter, vandalism and so on.
Bah Humbug
Richard

Post by Richard »

Good point spoony, I know the Tank Ranges in Dorset are a haven for wildlife.
I recall you writing about the area where you used to work in Gosport, or was it Portsmouth.

The BTO Warden at Dungeness is allowed access on the firing ranges down there, vast area between Camber, Lydd and Dungeness.

They have to tell him when it's safe to do so !!

He also has access through the Nuclear Power Station Grounds.

But your thoughts are a great idea for a documentary !

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

HMS Sultan is a fantastic place with the old Palmerston fort and moat, there is usually a kingfisher pair nesting there in the spring. Southwick park lake is good as well, there are great crested grebe and kingfishers as well as all manner of other avian life including grren and greater spotted woodpecker, tree creeper, nuthatch and so on. There is an abundance of different wildfowl as well, aparty from the Mallard there are usually a few mandarin and assorted other ducks
I actually failed a weapon handling course on the Tipner ranges because I was watching the skylarks rather than the targets that I was supposed to be shooting.
Bah Humbug
Richard

Post by Richard »

Just caught up with 'Rivers' Channel 4 with Jeremy Paxman.

First episode featured the River Tweed.
Very diverse in the things which were looked at. Needless to say I liked the bit about the Osprey.

Paxman does a good job, in his usual tongue in cheek, slightly cynical and fun way.
One Newspaper writes 'Has Paxman gone soft' !!

Really worth a look.

Next episode (Sunday 8pm) is the River Severn.

Richard
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

whilst in the gym this week I have been watching a charming travel documentary by Tim West and Pru Scales doing their exploration of the canals of GB and Europe. the first one I caught was across Ireland and last night it was across Sweden; apart from the history bit and other stuff they cover some fantastic scenery.

I do miss the old John Wilson fishing programmes as well, he used to always comment on the local flora and fauna whilst out and about presenting about angling; the thing about anglers on the whole, is that we enjoy the surroundings as much as the sport.
Bah Humbug
Richard

Post by Richard »

I agree, I think I've watched every episode of all 3 or 4 series. Don't know how that Pru manages it !!
Some great history and scenic places en-route.

John Sergeant also did a Barge series but without much success and now we have Celeb Carry on Barging on Channel 5, which I have to say isn't too bad (Nigel Havers, Simon Callow, Debbie McGee and Lorraine Chase - good selection for characters).

All in all these programmes no matter how good or corny they are do show that we have a wonderful Country packed with so much diversity in wildlife, history and tundra.

Richard
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

We do worry about Tim and Pru when we watch them but I suppose they wouldn't show the programme if anything happened to them :oops: I hope they manage to carry on for years to come as they obviously both enjoy it so much )t'
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx