Trust me I'm a Vet - raw feeding

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
kitla
Legendary Laner

Trust me I'm a Vet - raw feeding

Post by kitla »

I thought this was going to be a good series. I thought the part on how to house pet rabbits was useful (I hate seeing a lonely sad rabbit in a small hutch). Then on to raw feeding, expecting to see some useful opinions and research....omg what a load of rubbish. There were no brands of prepared raw feeds used in the "research", just a pile of some raw meat which contained (surprise surprise) bacteria yike* which could spread all round your house & poison everyone that lives there. Obviously people who choose to raw feed their dogs dont wash their hands or the dogbowls! There was apparently no nutritional benefit to raw feeding, but no research was shown, just this vet in a white coat peering closely at a pile of meat in a white room. I came to the conclusion that this program is sponsored by one of the big commercial pet food companies, who dont like the growing popularity of ready prepared frozen raw foods. There is even a society of vets who approve and would like proper research done (the RSVS) and are having a conference about it. Raw feeding isnt for everyone, but a program like this should be helping people to make an informed choice.
(btw my dogs get both raw and tinned now. The raw is a prepared frozen one using human grade meat and vegetables. Following pancreatitis, raw food was all my old dog could tolerate & would probably have died by now without it, so yes I'm a bit biased.)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
wendy

Re: Trust me I'm a Vet - raw feeding

Post by wendy »

I have fed raw, to all my dogs, all my life. As did my parents.
It is this processed rubbish that is the 'fad'

I do not eat processed food and have never fed my animals it either.

I like to know what is going into the dishes and by putting a lb of meat in there, I can see. Rather than boring nuggets that may have anything in, plus loads and loads of e's things etc. etc.

As with any raw meat, good hygiene is essential.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Trust me I'm a Vet - raw feeding

Post by Gwenoakes »

I did not expect much better tbh. At the end of the day don't the vets get paid to sell the processed food?!