Gunpowder......Blimey !!

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Gunpowder......Blimey !!

Post by Richard »

Did you watch the first episode, bit over the top on gruesome for a Saturday evening all be it after the watershed.

I don't watch anything dark and sinister but wanting to watch this for historical reasons.

Do you think those scenes were acceptable ?

The Guardian Review

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
p.penn

Re: Gunpowder......Blimey !!

Post by p.penn »

I would like to watch it but don’t do gory. :?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I didn't watch it even though I love anything historical. I had heard a bit about what to expect, especially apparently a drawing and quartering. I can't watch anything too explicit or gory and to be honest I don't think it adds anything to the play. In fact the reverse. It seems that the makers of todays TV viewing think that it will bring in more viewers but if a story or the telling of a story is good, our own imagination can do the rest .
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I was watching gogglebox last night and the gory bits were half shown. Ugghhh. What was the point of that? Almost all of the families really didn’t like it.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

There are several ways of looking at it I guess.

That's how it was back then, so in that sense it's authentic.

It's on a Saturday evening which is usually seen as being a bit more light hearted, also Kids don't go to school the next day so inclined to stay up longer.

Maybe it should be shown Weekdays and on BBC2 ?

I can't complain at the acting and general feel of it. Makes you thankful we live in the age we do, or with all that's going on around the world, have !!

I always envisaged Guy Fawkes as being more the folk hero type, bit of a Robin Hood.
Seems he was far from that !!

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Like Helen I saw the gory bits on gogglebox, it was like watching Saw or Hostel in its graphic portrayal yike* We know in Braveheart Wallace was hung,drawn and quartered and felt terribly sad but we didnt have to actually watch it. I know this happened in real life but to show it in its full 'glory' was just sickening.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/