Change of lifestyle books

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Change of lifestyle books

Post by Spreckly »

I am re-reading for the nth time Monica Edwards - The Unsought Farm. I bought this on either ebay or Amazon last year, and absolutely love it. It tells the tale of buying their farm, restoring the farmhouse, and gradually cultivating the land and stocking it.

What I would like to know is - do any Laners know of similar books? I know there is a book written by a downsizing guru several years ago, can't remember his name or anything about him, and I have never read the book.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Change of lifestyle books

Post by albertajune »

I can't help you out with other book ideas but love the sound of the one you keep re reading. Must seek it out. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

John Seymour (in the 70s?)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks Mo, seems to ring a bell in the back of my mind.

June, not sure if you will be able to get The Unsought Farm. I paid over thirty pounds for it, that shows how much I wanted to read it!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

June - have you read Hovel in the Hills by Elizabeth West? I think it came out in the late seventies. It is a true story of a couple leaving their jobs behind and opting for a simple life. I have read and re-read it!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Spreckly wrote:June - have you read Hovel in the Hills by Elizabeth West? I think it came out in the late seventies. It is a true story of a couple leaving their jobs behind and opting for a simple life. I have read and re-read it!

I haven't read this and after looking on line see it is still readily available. She also has another book called Kitchen In The Hills. I think I will treat myself.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Hello June

Hovel in the Hills is definitely the best of Elizabeth West's books. I bought (second hand, of course), her later books, which are:

A Patch in the Forest
Suffer Little Children
Kitrchen in the Hills
Garden in the Hills

Kitchen in the Hills is stuffed with recipes, and had I not got the other books already, I would not buy them. I think there is another one entitled Insufferable Little Children.