Johnny Kingdom

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Johnny Kingdom

Post by wildlifemad »

Does anyone remember Johnny? We went to Malvern theatre on Wednesday evening to see him give a talk. We always enjoyed his wildlife programmes & what you see is what you get with him! It was a lovely evening, thoroughly enjoyed by myself, hubby & my friend.
Someone asked him if there are any tv programmes coming up & his reply was that he has about 50 half hour shows sat waiting but nobody seems to want to take them on board but always say have you got any from Africa,etc. His are all shot in & around Exmoor where he has lived all his life, I find it sad that the "powers that be" don't seem as interested in British wildlife.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Johnny Kingdom

Post by Richard »

I do remember him, good man and glad you enjoyed the evening/

I entirely agree with you on sentiments about proportionate wildlife programmes, a thought I've often raised.

Fair enough we have Countryfile, Winter / Spring / Autumnwatch which highlight the UK.
The subject is occasionally raised on some of the Walking / Canal type programmes.
I watched a fascinating documentary on London Wildlife the other night (BBC4 - Saturday).

The glossy International Wildlife programmes are great, fantastic photography and increasing knowledge to the many on threats to our Planet, but...

Wildlife and Conservation start at our own back doors and there is a lot of diversity plus colour in our own doorstep.

Richard

Chris Packham..

“Of all the places in the world I travel, it is undoubtedly one of my favourite sights (the New Forest). It’s like being under a great stained glass window. People tend to forget we have some extremely glamorous and exotic things in our own backyard, and I fight very hard to ensure familiarity doesn’t breed contempt.”
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Yes, we watched Johnny Kingdom's programmes. They were amazing. What a great pity that the media are not broadcasting them.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Perhaps we should start a petition!!!!!!!!!!!!! We'd certainly love to see him back on tv.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

We heard the very sad news yesterday morning that Johnny died in an accident on his land involving a digger on Thursday evening. I know he hadn't been on tv in while (read his comment in original post) but he was a legend in our eyes. We were fortunate enough to meet him a few times, including going on one of his Exmoor safaris for my husbands 50th Birthday. He will be greatly missed. RIP.