They Shall Not Grow Old

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
fabindia
Legendary Laner

They Shall Not Grow Old

Post by fabindia »

I found it very thought provoking. What a waste of innocent young lives, and for what?

My grandfather was already a regular in the army when the Great War broke out and was part of the first British Expeditionary Force to fight in Europe. He went on to serve again in the Second World War.

Let's hope we never see anything like those wars again.
Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: They Shall Not Grow Old

Post by albertajune »

As you say Michael, very thought provoking. I watched Britain's Poppies and felt very moved to know that each one of the poppies represented a life. People then were so patriotic and rushed to sign up for service, many of them in their early teens. So many of them never came home.
As a young child living in London at the start of the second world war I can remember the devastation that the civilian population suffered so the first war didn't stop that. I hate to think what the world would be like today if the men and boys of then hadn't fought for us. Of course wars are still being fought today but the world wars were the ones that directly affected us.
We must never forget the sacrifices made.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: They Shall Not Grow Old

Post by sandy »

My 8 yr old goddaughter was in the procession with her brownie pack, took her to the gravs of her great great great uncles after to have a photo as she had been learning about the war in brownies, still lovely to see that their graves are kept pristine
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/