breakdown cover

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Mrs B

breakdown cover

Post by Mrs B »

Beerless just pricing up our breakdown cover currently we are with the yellow vAn compAny and it is £140 yike* He is pricing up FlagofGreen and it is £50. Surely there can't be that much difference, I know DD is with Green and claimed they were cheap but that is vast difference.
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Re: breakdown cover

Post by aishakali »

We changed to Flag of Green for the same reason, soooo much cheaper. Haven't had the need to call them out yet though (famous last words! :? )
LYN
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I've been with Green Flag for over 13 years - only in the past 2 years have I needed to call them out (twice for a flat battery - once my fault for leaving the lights on overnight :oops: , 2nd for a genuinely flat battery (well it was over 7 years old), both occassions with the car on the drive, and the more serious complete breakdown on the way to work on a 3rd occassion) In all 3 cases, it was straightforward - all they need is your car registration - and a local garage is called out to deal with your problem and turn up within half hour depending on the whereabouts of their breakdown truck. It was very professional and I can highly recommend them )t'
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Thanks both of you, I am still reeling in shock over the vast price difference.
Georgina
Lively Laner

Post by Georgina »

I am with Flag of Green but must admit it is because of where I live rather than cost.... I had to call out a breakdown service with orange vans as the car refused to start in a rural area. After an hour I managed to start it myself and limp it to Tesco (needed facilities!!) so rang them to say I had managed to get it that far but not happy to go any further..... 15 mins later (bearing in mind I had played on the single female in the middle of nowhere act 1.5 hours previously) I started it again and drove home, rang them as I left and saw the orange van when I was about half a mile from home - as it headed towards Tesco.

The Flag company uses local garages so there is more likely to be someone within a reasonable distance in rural Wales (plus my lovely people at the local garage are part of the scheme) AND the added bonus is that they cover me for when I am towing the caravan.
bobsbabes
Lively Laner

Post by bobsbabes »

on some bank accounts you get orange van cover so check you dont already have it :)
Treating Titchy the globe trotting chook to a trip to Disney :)
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Thanks BB we don't have a freebie, Beerless has changed it over to Flag of Green and will hopefully spend the cash he saved on my birthday gift
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Just reviving this old post about something I learned today.

First, I've been with Green Flag since 2002 - it came with the new car I'd bought back then and cost £60 pa (I seem to remember that the RAC was well over £100 at the time) When I bought my current car (can you believe it was back in 2016 - I still refer to it as my "new" car), the price went up to £74 - well, I did think it odd that for 14 years, the price had never changed - so I never thought anymore of it.

Last year I got the shock of my life when I received a letter to say that it had automatically been paid from one of my bank cards even though I never contacted Green Flag to renew the membership, and this time it cost £87. I was miffed because I never agreed to automatic annual payments when they were due (I never signed anything to say it could go ahead) Well, seems whatever card I had used the year before must have expired and the payment request was refused. I eventually got a letter from Green Flag to say that I no longer had breakdown cover.

To be honest, I was glad it fell through because I was still recovering financially with only getting half salary and the car insurance, road tax and MOT paid for. However, I can't go without breakdown cover for long, especially with winter closing in fast, so I have just been online comparing prices. Seems Green Flag is still the cheapest of the lot but when I started to fill in the details online, the quote was only £47 (I double checked that I had ticked the right boxes) It seems that if you take out the breakdown cover online, it is 40% cheaper than when taking it out over the telephone.

So there's a lesson worth learning ...
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

I have been with Green Flag for the last three years after doing an online comparison at that time. My premium this year is £60. That's without home start.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

PK wrote: 06 Dec 2022, 22:14 I have been with Green Flag for the last three years after doing an online comparison at that time. My premium this year is £60. That's without home start.
I ticked most options including home start (surprisingly, most of my call outs have either been due to a flat battery - one day the car starts, the next day without any warning is flat - or once, the clutch cable snapped about 2 streets from where I lived) but not driving other cars or overseas (as in, I can't see me going to Europe any time soon)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think it can be a lot cheaper from price comparison as a new customer, than if you renew automatically.
Back of my mind - is it insurance companies that now mustn't do that? Or some utilities?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire